In Unannounced Move, University To Begin Awarding Latin Honors

Changes have also been made to requirements for the Dean’s List.
Harper Memorial Library

The University of Chicago will begin awarding Latin Honors to their student body according to a new policy published in an updated version of the College Catalog.

All students with GPAs in the top 25 percent of their major compared to a five-year average will graduate cum laude. Students in the top 15 percent and top eight percent will be eligible to graduate magna cum laude and summa cum laude, respectively, depending on a College committee’s decision. They will “review each student’s record to gauge broad engagement with the curriculum.”

The top 10 percent of second years by GPA will be recognized as “Robert Maynard Hutchins Scholars,” which “is designed to honor students who have performed exceptionally in their core courses and introductory courses for their major,” according to the Course Catalog. 

The College has also changed the requirements for the Dean’s List. Students who have a GPA in the top 20 percent of all undergraduates will be placed on the list at the end of the year. Previously, any student with a cumulative GPA above 3.25 for that year earned a spot on the Dean’s List.

The University made these changes by updating a section of the College’s Course Catalog. No general announcement was made to the student body.

The University could not be reached for comment by time of publication.