Comer cuts ribbon for new hospital

The long-awaited ribbon-cutting ceremony for the University of Chicago’s brand new Comer Children’s Hospital took place last Monday, January 31. While most children’s hospitals inherently do not make for particularly pleasant stays, this one—according to the the Chicago Sun-Times—offers private rooms with 42-inch flat-screen televisions, queen-size sofa beds for visiting parents, video games, and on-demand movies.

Additionally, the hospital provides residents with libraries, playgrounds, and interactive games. The seven-story hospital, located at 5721 South Maryland Avenue, will officially open in mid-February. It expects to host 5,500 patients per year.

According to ABC7Chicago.com, Gary Comer, the founder of the Land’s End clothing company who donated $21 million dollars to the hospital with his wife, is expected to donate another $20 million to build a research facility across the street.

Comer spoke at the opening: “Today we cut the ribbon and dedicated and we launched a new era of excellence in pediatric health care facilities,” Comer said, according to ABC7Chicago.com. “If there were Oscars for outstanding hospital design, this building would win them all.”

Also according to the Chicago Sun-Times, the Comer’s primary North Side competitor, Children’s Memorial, is now considering building a new hospital to replace its 43-year-old complex of buildings.

—Tara Kadioglu