Students name café in South Campus dorm

The South Campus Café was christened Midway Market Wednesday after an online vote by University students.

South Campus students won’t buy their coffee and snacks at Life of the Grind, Crescat Café, In Caffeino Veritas, or The Allegory of the Crave. The South Campus Café was christened Midway Market Wednesday after an online vote by University students.

Community leaders and University administrators attended the ceremony, including former senator and New Zealand ambassador Carol Mosley Braun (JD ’72). Braun is the founder of Ambassador Organics, which partnered with Aramark to supply the café.

Former UCPD chief and current director of community partnerships Rudy Nimocks, 20th-Ward alderman Willie Cochran, Vice President of Civic Engagement Anne-Marie Lipinski, trustee John Rogers (LAB ‘76), and Bishop Arthur Brazier also attended.

Campus Dining began taking submissions for the café naming contest in December “to bring attention to the café in an overt way,” Richard Mason, director of operations and communications for housing and dining, said. Sales were slow at the cafe last quarter, when Mason said the store was only seeing 70 percent of expected business.

Students voted this month on which of eight possible names would be the new cafe’s moniker. The Campus Dining Advisory Board (CDAB), a group of Inter-house Council and Student Government representatives, had narrowed the field from over 200 suggestions.

Third-year and CDAB member Jordan Phillips said the board chose a mix of “dorky” and more generic names for the poll, but some of his favorites—including “Maroon Saloon”—were cut from the list. “We decided as a group what would appeal to the student body most,” he said.

Ten students submitted “Midway Market” as a name, so CDAB randomly selected third-year Ann Robbins to win an Amazon Kindle. The other students will receive $25 gift certificates.