Women show steel against Carnegie

In first UAA competition, Maroons shine

[img id=”78491″ align=”alignleft”]

Despite difficult weather conditions, women’s soccer started off the UAA tournament with a victory on Saturday afternoon. The Maroons defeated Carnegie Mellon 2-1, improving their record to 6-3-1 and 1-0 in UAA competition.

Chicago played a dominant game, with nine corner kick opportunities versus the Tartans’ three and outshooting their opponents 12-9.

In a strong show of their leadership and experience, the upperclassmen took charge throughout the game. Fourth-year Emily Benoit started off the scoring with a 12-yard score off a pass from fourth-year Sarah Loh in the 17th minute.

Carnegie Mellon’s Elsa Wu responded three minutes later with an unassisted goal in front of the net, leveling the score at one.

Loh responded fifteen minutes later, however, scoring the game-winning goal in the 32nd minute, tapping the ball in off the crossbar.

After the Maroons’ second goal, defense reigned supreme.

Third-year goalie Emma Gormley performed strongly with four saves for the Maroons, compared to the Tartans’ two stops.

The team agreed that the weather was the biggest obstacle preventing them from bettering their performance, but they believe they will continue to carry their momentum forward into the rest of the tournament.

Second-year Marquel Reddish admitted, “It wasn’t the best game we’ve played this season. It was freezing and raining sideways. But we found a way to win and that’s what matters.”

Last year, the Maroons began their UAA campaign with a tie at Carnegie Mellon, ending up 4-2-1 in the conference.

With this game behind them, Reddish has hope for an even stronger finish this year, saying, “It was really important for us to start off our UAA campaign with a win at home.”

Second-year Brigette Kragie viewed the game as good practice for the remaining matches in the tournament, especially the team’s next game at Emory.

“On Saturday, we battled through the rain and continued to play our game on offense and defense, getting us the win,” Kragie stated. “Going down to Emory, we will have to do the same thing and not let the heat and humidity get to us.”

Kragie remains confident the team will be able to defeat the elements and Emory, adding, “I know my team will fight to get the win.”