Track and field teams place first, second at Chicagolands

Women’s track and field placed first as the men came in second behind North Central.

[img id=”78196″ align=”alignleft”]

Chicago and North Central grappled for top honors at the Chicagoland Championships this Friday and Saturday, which were held at Stagg field. The women captured first place, beating the Cardinals 149–131 in the 22-team event. The men were overtaken by North Central 168–123.5 and came in second place.

There were many stand-out performances that provided key contributions to the overall team success. For the women, fourth-year Claire Ray won the shot put (13.4 meters) and hammer throw (51.02 meters), while fellow fourth-year and shot-putter Nicole Murphy joined her on the podium in second place.

As for the runners, second-year Jane Simpson claimed first place in the 10,000–meter run with a time of 37:04.14, while third-year Liz Lawton grabbed third place in the 5,000–meters.

All four of these women met the NCAA Division III provisional-qualifying standard for their events.

On the men’s side, third-years Drew Jackson and Jacob Solus finished first and second, respectively, in the triple jump with distances of 14.59 meters and 14.40 meters. Both marks met the NCAA Division III provisional-qualifying standard.

On the track, third-year Arthur Baptist commanded the 10,000–meter run with a winning time of 31:27.90.

Jackson was very impressed with the team’s showing: “We had a lot of great performances that we will only build on in these next weeks going into [the UAAs].”

Jackson and the team hope to keep up this momentum for next weekend’s upcoming meet.

“It [will be a] time for us to fine-tune everything and really focus on what we want to accomplish at conference,” he said.

With the UAAs just two meets away, the Maroons will look to stay on track Saturday at the Wheaton College Invite.