STD—January 14 to January 20

Poem Present, YouTube sensation Keenan Cahill, and more fun stuff to do this week

Friday | January 14

Although his real 29th birthday is on Sunday, Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade is going all out with a birthday bash at the Alhambra Palace. Party host Common promises performances by Vessel, Lito, and Sober, as well as other “special celebrity performances.” It’s still unknown whether LeBron James will be there with an eight-foot-tall crystal-embellished cake. (1240 West Randolph Street, 9 p.m., $37 general admission, $127 VIP pass, including a meet-and-greet)

Renowned New Orleans native and R&B musician Allen Toussaint will be performing at the Symphony Center. The program will spotlight his 2009 Grammy-nominated album The Bright Mississippi, a salute to the stars of the Big Easy. Also appearing with Toussaint are clarinetist Don Byron and trumpeter Nicholas Payton. (220 South Michigan Avenue, 8 p.m., $25)

Saturday | January 15

Sixteen lady arm wrestlers battle it out for the championship in the Chicago League of Lady Arm Wrestlers CLLAW VIII. The party continues after the match for a fundraiser to benefit SideShow Theatre Company and the Howard Brown Health Center. (3443 North Southport Avenue, 9:30 p.m., $5 suggested donation)

Support local Chicago musicians and discover new music with the Chicago Acoustic Underground (CAU), an organization dedicated to promoting local artists. The organization, which has produced over 300 podcast shows with up-and-coming musicians, is kicking off a concert showcase series at the Bottom Lounge with Band Called Catch, Davenport Ed, Ten Foot Tail, and the Phil Angotti Band. (1375 West Lake Street, 8 p.m., $10)

Sunday | January 16

You’ve seen him lip-syncing all over the Internet (most notably in “Down on Me” with 50 Cent), and now you can see him live and in person. Not only will YouTube sensation Keenan Cahill be hosting the Bears game against the Seahawks at Public House, he will be providing the halftime entertainment as well. (400 North State Street, 12 p.m., free)

Monday | January 17

At the monthly performance series 2nd Story, attendees eat, drink, make merry, and listen to some of Chicago’s best storytellers. This month, the five performers were asked to weave a tale based on a black-and-white photograph. (3905 North Lincoln Avenue, 7 p.m., $15)

Tuesday | January 18

The Gene Siskel Film Center is screening a special sneak preview of the self-explanatory film Jews and Baseball: An American Love Story. The documentary, narrated by Dustin Hoffman, features interviews from baseball personalities such as Bud Selig, Yogi Berra, Al Rosen, and Roger Kahn. (64 North State Street, 6 p.m., $7)

Wednesday | January 19

The Film Studies Center will be holding a special screening of the landmark Japanese film Page of Madness (Kurutta Ichipeiji). The silent film was made in 1926 but was lost until the 1970s when it was “rediscovered.” It tells the story of an asylum janitor and his daughter’s engagement. A quartet led by Tatsu Aoki will provide accompaniment. (Cobb 307, 8 p.m., free)

Thursday | January 20

Canadian poet Erin Mouré will be reading a selection of her poetry as part of the Poem Present series, which brings contemporary poets to the University to read their work and speak on topics in contemporary poetry. Much of Mouré’s work is influenced by the relationship between mother and child, as well as her slight loss of the sense of touch. (Rosenwald 405, 4:30 p.m., free)