Fourth Cisse murderer sentenced

The latest man convicted in the fatal 2007 shooting of University graduate student Amadou Cisse has been sentenced to 120 years in prison for first-degree murder.

Demetrius Warren, 21, became in August the fourth person convicted for Cisse’s murder, following the convictions and sentencing of three other suspects in the case. Of the four men sentenced for the crime, Warren was the man who pulled the trigger.

“It’s good to see that justice was served in this very tragic case and that all those involved were convicted,” UCPD spokesperson Robert Mason said.

Co-defendants Jamal Bracey and Benjamin Williams pled guilty for sentences of 35 years and 41 years, respectively, and Eric Walker was sentenced to 20 years in exchange for testifying for the prosecution. A fifth man who has not been identified is also believed to have participated in the crime.

Cisse, a sixth-year chemistry graduate student from Senegal, was outside his apartment on the 6100 block of South Ellis Avenue around 1:30 a.m. November 19, 2007 when Williams and Warren approached him. After Williams failed to steal his backpack, Warren shot him once in the chest, killing him. He was 29.

Bracey, Walker, and the fifth man were waiting in a car for Williams and Warren, who had robbed other U of C students that night.

Cisse had recently defended his dissertation and was weeks away from receiving his Ph.D., which was then awarded posthumously.

University spokesman Steve Kloehn said that Cisse’s memory will not be forgotten.

“That loss will not go away, and our hearts go out to all whose lives were changed by this tragedy. At the same time, Amadou’s powerful example as a scholar, son, brother, and friend lives on. We honor that memory and remain committed to the ideals that guided him,” Kloehn said in an e-mail.