Perfect ten at Henry Crown

The Chicago Duals isn’t your average track meet. Saturday’s contest featured 11 schools, each of which were scored head-to-head against one another. The Maroons delivered a strong performance, dominating the meet with a record of 10–0.

Impressive as that record is, however, this was a meet the Maroons had expected to win. Anything other than a clean sweep would have left them feeling disappointed.

Beloit and St. Ambrose gave Chicago its biggest tests, losing to the Maroons 100–57 and 83.5–81.5, respectively. But, overall, Chicago’s comfortable victory was a fair reflection of its performance.

“There are things we could have done better, maybe, but the team competed well and we’re pleased with the results,” head coach Chris Hall said.

The standout performance for Chicago came from third-year Kayla McDonald, who broke an 18-year-old school record to win the 800m with a time of 2:17.02. Second-year Sarah Peluse also enjoyed a solid victory in the 5000m (18:57.84).

The meet was not the Maroons’ hardest of the season. But a win is a win, no matter the situation.

Winning builds confidence, and, right now, confidence is just what the women’s squad needs.

“We have a young team and they’re still learning,” Hall said. “More than anything, this meet developed a level of confidence that we can compete against other collegiate athletes and I think we’re now getting more comfortable with that.”

The Chicago Duals was a chance for Maroons to come together, get behind each other, and start recording the times they to move up the conference honor rolls.