Both genders willing to negotiate pay, study says

Despite gender stereotypes, women and men are equally likely to negotiate salaries, according to a U of C study.

A study co-authored by economics professor John List found that women are as willing as men to negotiate a salary if given the chance, but still may be less likely than men to apply for a job regardless of the opportunity to negotiate a salary.

When replying to a fixed salary offer, eight percent of women and 11 percent of men initiated salary negotiations, according to a University news release that described the results of the study earlier this month. Replying to an offer that came with a negotiable salary, 24 percent of women initiated negotiations, compared to 22 percent of men.

The study, which was the first to look at gender differences in salary negotiations using a field experiment, also found that when a job offer stated that a salary was fixed, men had a 47 percent probability of applying, compared to 32 percent for women. When a posted salary was negotiable, women had a 33 percent chance of applying, while the probability for men dropped to 42 percent.