Chicago prepares for Case, Wash U

Coming off of a resounding victory against Wheaton College, the Maroons aim to continue their dominance in this weekend’s matches against Case Western and Wash U.

The sixth-ranked South Siders ran away with an 8–1 win against Wheaton last Wednesday to seal their fifth consecutive victory. With that win, the Maroons improved their record to 14–4 overall and 12–1 over D-III opposition.

Fourth-year Kendra Higgins got her team off to the perfect start, defeating Wheaton’s Elizabeth Worsowicz in two sets, 6–0, 6–0—the first of five straight sets that ended in Maroon victories on the day. Co-captain and fourth-year Jennifer Kung followed Higgins with a 6–2, 6–4 win before fourth-year Carmen Vaca Guzman (6–1, 6–0), third-year Linden Li (7–5, 6–2) and first-year Kelsey McGillis (6–0, 6–0) all won in two sets. The South Siders only loss on the day came from first-year Megan Tang’s default.

In doubles play, Vaca Guzman and Higgins served up another shut out (8–0) as Higgins finished the day without losing a single game and Vaca Guzman dropped only one. Li and Kung won their match 8–4, followed by a 9–2 McGillis-Tang victory.

The Maroons will be hoping they can keep up their momentum heading into this weekend’s play, but Case Western (16–2) and Wash U (11–4) represent strong opposition. The 13th-ranked Wash U Bears are coming off of a 9–0 win against McKendree University, before which they upset 10th ranked DePauw. In fact, the only loss in the last six games for the Bears came at the hands of the Maroons, who shut them out 5–0 on April 7th.

Case will also be hungry for an upset. The Spartans are 16–2 overall and are enjoying a 10-game winning streak. Of their last five games, the Spartans have had four perfect outings, in which their opponents failed to win a single match.

Despite the competition, the Maroons will be confident heading into the weekend. Of their last nine games, the women have shut out their opponents six times. Their last loss came at the hands of D-I Coastal Carolina; otherwise Chicago has won eight of the last nine games.

Having played the Bears a short while ago, the South Siders know full well the competition they will face. Case, however, will be more of an unknown quantity. They are unranked and have not faced a top-10 team this season.

The Maroons games this weekend will be their last before the conference championship at the end of the month, and the pressure is on for them to extend their winning streak to seven games heading into the UAAs.

Saturday’s match-up against Case begins at 2 p.m and the Wash U clash gets underway at 10 a.m. on Sunday.