Do what you’re told

This weekend, celebrate Earth Day, eat some fancy cheese, and listen to the music from the time of Jane Austen.

Friday | April 27

Alison Bechdel—who you may know from her long-running comic strip “Dykes to Watch Out For,” or, perhaps, from your “Comics and Autobiography” creative writing class—will present her second graphic memoir, Are You My Mother? A Comic Drama in Rosenwald 405. Check out the Fevered Archives exhibit at the Center for Gender and Race Studies on campus, through May 18th, for more of Bechdel’s work. 5801 South Ellis Avenue. 5 p.m., free.

Earth Fest on the quads means lots of free stuff (because the Earth is free, man). There will be complimentary samples of local and organic food, the chance to plant your own herbs (please, god, not near Cobb), free bike tune-ups, discounted U of C Bookstore bike gear, and sandwiches and SAGE totes on the house when you bring your gently used garments to the clothing swap—all under the mysterious white tents that have been going up on campus since yesterday. Main Quad. 11 a.m., free.

Wait, what just happened? If the answer isn’t tattooed to your body, then be sure to check out “Off Off Presents: Memento Maury,” the second installment of the 26th generation’s spring revue “Boning John Malkovich,” (and, thus, a new Doc Films series is born). The schedule is as follows: Preglow of R Kelly songs, Off Off backs it up, and an Afterglow entitled “Bad Porn Plots.” It’s all happening in the Third Floor Theater of the Reynolds Club. 5706 South University Avenue, 8:30–10:30 p.m., $4.

Saturday | April 28

Lets give three cheesy cheers for the 2nd Annual Pastoral’s Artisan Producer Festival at the French Market. Pastoral has upped its cheesemonger count from last year, bringing the grand total to 24 creameries, including Chicago favorites like Zingerman’s, Prairie Fruit Farms, and Rogue. Brews, wine, spirits, confections, charcuterie, and crackers in their many artisanal iterations will also abound, in addition to French Market staples like Saigon Sisters and EJ Sushi. 131 North Clinton Street. 11 a.m.–3 p.m., free.

Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues, which is based on dozens of interviews with women and gets added to every year, will be performed in the Reynold’s club in celebration of V-Day, a movement begun by Ensler to promote awareness about and put an end to violence against women and girls.This year’s focus is on violence against women in Haiti, which has increased steadily since 2010’s devastating earthquake. 5706 South University Avenue. Performances start at 5 p.m. and 9 p.m., $8 with UCID.

Sunday | April 29

Bar hop like it’s 1926 at the Chicago History Museum’s “Booze, Bars, and Bootlegging” pub crawl. Immerse yourself in the rich history of Chicago’s most famous speakeasies, while simultaneous dousing yourself in drink. Registration is limited, but if you miss your chance this time around, don’t fret; there will be more opportunities to partake in this tipsy tour over the summer. Starts from 1601 North Clark Street. 1–4 p.m., $25 for members, $35 for non members.

If your prospects for marriage aren’t looking good, don’t get down in the dowry dumps—go see Sensibility in Sound: Music From the Time of Jane Austen at Northwestern University’s Vail Chapel. Keyboardist Stephen Alltop, on the Broadwood fortepiano and soprano Josefien Stoppelenburg will perform work by Beethoven, Schubert, Handel, Clementi, and anything else that’s been referenced in a Jane Austen novel. 1870 Sheridan Road, Evanston. 3 p.m., $5-$20.

Orchid shows aren’t just for flower enthusiasts who spend their weekends ogling merchandise in plant nurseries—they’re also for people who have watched Adaptation way too many times. With 128 ruthless orchid competitions and 34 orchid displays, the 60th Anniversary Illinois Orchid Society Spring Show & Sale at the Chicago Botanic Garden will surely satisfy all of your cinematic fantasies. Stop by the Sensory and Circle Gardens while you’re there—Virginia bluebells, bleeding hearts, snowdrops anemones and myriad tulips are all in bloom. 1000 Lake-Cook Road, Glencoe. 10 a.m.–5 p.m., free.