Weekend shootings bombard Woodlawn

Though there were no homicides on campus this weekend, Woodlawn experienced multiple shootings, one fatal.

One man was killed last weekend in a rash of shootings adjacent to campus in the West Woodlawn neighborhood, though none were within U of C police department (UCPD) jurisdiction.

At 9:30 p.m. on Saturday night, Marlon Monroe, a 21-year-old male, was shot on the 6300 block of South St. Lawrence Avenue, according to Chicago Police Department spokesperson Darryl Baety. He was taken to John H. Stroger, Jr. Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 10:14 p.m, according to the Chicago Tribune.

This is the seventh homicide in the Woodlawn area this year, according to the Chicago Tribune, but none of the shootings occurred in the Hyde Park–South Kenwood neighborhood immediately surrounding the University.

Only 30 minutes after the earlier fatal incident, another shooting occurred on the 6700 block of South Langley Avenue. The victim, a 16-year-old male, was wounded in the leg and taken to University Medical Center (UCMC), where he is in good condition, according to Baety.

Earlier that evening, at 7:30 p.m, a 22-year-old male was shot after having heard guns go off on the 6500 block of South Langley Avenue. The victim was taken to the UCMC and released later that night, according to Baety.

All three investigations are still ongoing and there is no apparent connection between them.

In the event of a homicide in their territory, UCPD usually defers to the citywide police department because they have more resources to deal with such investigations, according to UCPD spokesperson Robert Mason. However, the shootings this weekend occurred outside of the UCPD patrol area, which runs north–south from 39th Street to 64th Street and east–west from Lake Shore Drive to Cottage Grove Avenue.