Metra running normally after security delay Saturday morning

Police investigated a suspicious package at 57th and Stony Island this morning, causing a delay in Metra trains.

The Metra Electric District line experienced delays this morning when the stop at 57th Street and Stony Island was investigated due to a suspicious package. The station has been cleared for departure and there are no longer delays.

As of 9:57 a.m., outbound train #115, scheduled to depart Chicago at 9:30 a.m. and arrive in University Park at 10:30 a.m., will run on time, originating at 115th Street and making all stops to University Park, according to a Metra Service Advisory.

According to the Metra web site, as of 10:06 a.m., there are no further service advisories.

Inbound train #114, scheduled to arrive in Chicago at 9 a.m., was stopped this morning as police used a canine unit to investigate a suspicious package, and was delayed for over half an hour. According to a CPD spokesperson, the station was given the all-clear.

Passengers waiting on the platform were ushered away from the tracks by police, according to the Chicago Tribune, and police temporarily took over the area between Blackstone and Stony Island Avenues on 57th Street, a witness said.

All Metra trains are subject to heightened security this weekend due to the NATO summit, which has also caused rerouting of multiple CTA bus lines and the closing of parts of Lake Shore Drive and I-55.

For more updates and service advisories, check metrarail.com.