Chance the Rapper, Chicago native, to headline MAB fall show

The show will also feature a special performance by British electronic music duo Bondax.

Chance the Rapper will headline the Major Activities Board (MAB)’s fall show on November 9 at 8 p.m. in Mandel Hall, according to MAB chair and fourth-year Jack Friedman.

Friedman said that in selecting the headlining act, the Board hoped to bring in someone relatively unknown to students but who could excite a wide audience.

“We wanted to highlight something new and emerging. He’s someone who’s a fresh face on the scene,” he said.

Another tipping point in the Board’s selection was the rapper’s affiliation with the city of Chicago. Chance, 20, launched his career while a student at Jones College Prep High School in the South Loop. In addition, as he told Interview magazine, he was inspired by the work of fellow Chicagoan Kanye West, who he first heard on the radio at Edwardo’s Pizza on East 57th Street.

Chance started working on his first mixtape, 10 Day, after being suspended during his senior year in 2011. The release of the mixtape in the spring of 2012 received positive feedback and led to a mention in Complex magazine’s “Top 10 New Chicago Rappers to Watch Out For.” As a result of his newfound fame, Chance was invited to make guest appearances in songs by Childish Gambino, Hoodie Allen, Lil Wayne, and Joey Bada$$.

“We wanted to show someone innovative and honor someone from our city, so those were the two biggest factors,” Friedman said.

Chance the Rapper is currently promoting his second mixtape, Acid Rap, which was released in April. In addition to his own headlining tour, he has appeared with Eminem and Kendrick Lamar on their recent world tour. Rolling Stone magazine recently named him its 2013 “Hot MC.”

Also making an appearance at the fall show as a special guest will be British duo Bondax. Members George Townsend, 20, and Adam Kaye, 19, specialize in electronic music that combines elements of dance music, garage, R&B, and pop. The young duo first came to fame after its music was played on BBC Radio One.

The process of obtaining both artists was done through what is known as a “middle agent,” according to Friedman. The middle agent negotiates between MAB and the artists’ agents.

“This is a professional who works with colleges to help to navigate the legal and contractual obligations of placing a quote on an act. So we don’t really interact with the artist, but we’re really excited to have him and hope he’s excited,” Friedman said.

Tickets for the show will go on sale Wednesday at 11 a.m. in the Mandel Hall box office. They are $5 for students and $10 for faculty with a UCID.