This is a series the Maroon publishes summarizing instances of campus crime. Each week details a few notable crimes. The focus is on crimes within the UCPD patrol area, which runs from East 37th to 65th Streets and South Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive.
Here are this week's notables:
- October 18, 5840 South Maryland Avenue (UCMC Parking Garage), 9:15 a.m.—A motorist refused to pay the parking fee and then drove through and damaged the access control barrier.
- October 20, South University Avenue between East 55th & 56th Streets, 12:15 a.m.—An unknown person(s) gained entry to an off-campus apartment by cutting open the window screen and then took an iPad and some cash. The case is under CPD investigation.
- October 20, 5446 South Greenwood Avenue (Stout Park), 7:20 p.m.—Two unknown males used force to take a laptop computer and ID from a person sitting in the park. The victim recovered the laptop, but the suspects fled with his ID.
- October 21, alley on East 62nd Street between South Ellis & Greenwood Avenues, 8:25 p.m.—An unknown man, armed with a handgun, took a cell phone and cash from two people. The case has been turned over to the CPD.
- October 21-22, 5538 South Kenwood Avenue, unknown time—Between 5 p.m. on October 21 and 11 a.m. on October 22, an unknown person smashed the window of a car parked on the street and took a GPS device.
Source: UCPD Incident Reports