Shoreland open for business

The first seven floors of the Shoreland, an apartment building and former luxury hotel and UChicago dormitory, are currently open for new renters. According to the Hyde Park Herald, the first tenants are currently occupying the building, and the remaining six floors will be open by the end of the year.

After opening in 1926, Shoreland was a luxury hotel until the 1970s when it was acquired by the University and converted into a dorm that remained open until 2009. In 2008, Shoreland was acquired by Antheus Capital/MAC Property Management and turned into an apartment building with 330 mostly one-bedroom units. While the exterior and structural elements remain similar to the original 1920s construction, the interior has mostly been changed.

“As the grandest of Chicago’s 1920s apartment hotels, Shoreland required a grand design for the 21st century,” said Peter Cassel, Director of Community Development for MAC Property Management, “Shoreland is also the first residential apartment building in Chicago to offer gigabit internet service, and the building is designed for LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) certification and includes efficient appliances, low-flow fixtures, energy-saving lighting and recycling.”