Five for Friday: Taking a look at the week’s key story lines

Take a look at the five key story lines from the Maroons’ sports world this week.

1. Baseball sets sights on other great rivals

Three days after shocking North Side rivals Northwestern, the Maroons head south to St. Louis where they will close their regular season in a doubleheader against UAA rival Wash U. The South Siders do not have high hopes of making the playoffs, but three wins in a row against their biggest rivals wouldn’t be a bad way to end what has been a reasonably successful season. The final games will be a sendoff for the team’s nine fourth-years.

2. Maroons gear up for another postseason run

Women’s tennis is back in action in the NCAA tournament this weekend for the first time since losing to Williams in the tournament final last year. Chicago has a bye in the first round of its regional qualifier and will face the winner of this afternoon’s matchup between Edgewood and Ohio Northern. Should the Maroons win that game, they will face Carleton, Grinnell or UW–Whitewater. The Maroons will also have the advantage of competing on their home courts. Another NCAA final might be asking too much of this team, but expect a strong showing at his weekend’s regional.

3. Brizzolara intent on NCAA tournament

Unlike his fellow fourth-years Billy Whitmore and Julia Sizek, Dee Brizzolara has never qualified for the NCAA tournament. He blew away the UAA field two weeks ago, but his 100m (10.78) and 200m (21.73) are unlikely to book him a place at the national championship at the end of the month. He’ll be hoping to move up the honor rolls at the North Central Dr. Keeler invite this weekend. Brizzolara currently sits 22nd and 18th in the 100m and 200m, respectively, but will likely have to improve both of those times by around two tenths of a second.

4. Sabada sole NCAA representative from men’s tennis

The men’s tennis team didn’t qualify for the NCAA tournament, but No. 1 singles player second-year Deepak Sabada, who finished the season with a 15–5 record, was selected on Wednesday to compete in the DIII singles tournament. Sabada finished the season ranked fourth in the region after the Maroons’ fourth-place finish in the UAA. After a very strong start to the season, including a 10-game winning streak spanning February, March, and April, Sabada’s form dipped in the last few weeks of the season as the quality of the competition dipped.

5. Five South Siders make All-UAA teams

Fourth-years Jack Cinoman, Steven Schwabe, Ben Bullock, and Matt O’Connor and second-year Kyle Engel were named to the 2013 UAA All-Association Teams this Wednesday. Cinoman and Schwabe were named to the first team and Bullock, O’Connor, and Engel were named to the second. Unsurprisingly, the Maroons’ honorees were predominantly hitters. The South Siders’ offense has been potent all year round and sits fifth in batting average in DIII. O’Connor was the only Maroon pitcher to be honored. The fourth-year boasts a 2.56 ERA and 52 strikeouts in 63.1 innings pitched.