New to 55th Street: New York-style deli

Meat lovers, rejoice. Bergstein’s NY Delicatessen, located on East 55th Street between South University & Woodlawn Avenues, opened its doors on Monday.

In order to train its staff, the deli will run limited hours until its grand opening in February. Menu items include meats, salads, and soups made in-house, and smoked salmon and pastrami imported from New York.

Restaurant owner William Davis decided to open the location after being approached by the University, which owns the property. After a successful run as a food truck, the Hyde Park location is the second brick-and-mortar store in the Bergstein’s chain, which also has a location in Chicago Heights.

Store manager Josh Widen hopes Bergstein’s becomes a “Hyde Park staple, like the businesses that have been in the area for 20 or more years,” he said, adding that its employees all live in and around Hyde Park. The deli hopes to attract University students with open mic nights and extended hours during finals week. Widen also noted that the restaurant might hire students for the odd hours that full-time employees cannot fill.

Davis said that response has been positive so far. “We’ve had a lot of inquiries,” he said. “People have been pretty excited for [the deli].”