This is a series the Maroon publishes summarizing instances of campus crime. Each week details a few notable crimes, in addition to keeping a running count from January 1. The focus is on crimes within the UCPD patrol area, which runs from East 37th to 65th Streets and South Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive.
Here are this week’s notables:
- January 15, 900 East 60th Street, 7:30 p.m.—Two unknown males attempted to steal a purse from a woman walking on the sidewalk but fled without taking it.
- January 17, 57th Street between Harper and Lake Park Avenues—Between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. an unknown person opened a parcel in the mail area of an off-campus apartment building and took a fur coat.
- January 21, 6031 South Ellis Avenue (SCRH), time unknown—Three individuals became ill after consuming brownies believed to contain marijuana. They were transported to the ER by EMS, and the report is now a CPD case.
- January 21, 5700 South Maryland Avenue (CCD), 4:30 a.m.—One male struck another male in the face during the course of an argument and was arrested by UCPD.
- January 22, 1100 East 57th Street, 8:45 p.m.—A known male threw coffee on another male and struck him in the chest with his hand before departing. The victim claimed no injuries and declined medical attention.
Source: UCPD Incident Reports