Letter: I’m sorry

I would like to begin this with an apology. I am truly sorry for the pain I have caused anyone regarding my role as the “police officer” in the picture that circulated all over social media. Although I had no intention of causing anyone any harm, I understand that the result of my choices triggered strong emotions in those who viewed it, and I deeply regret my part. Furthermore, I understand the criticism from the fact that this photo appeared to be making light of a serious issue within our community and country. Regarding recent events, I feel like it is important to express my concern for the issue of perpetuating racial stereotypes. I personally have learned a lot from my experience in this situation, which I would like to share.

Although I may not experience firsthand some of the prejudices or micro-aggressions that members of our campus community face every day, I would still like to emphasize how prevalent these issues are and how important it is that we address them. To those who do not believe that even small actions can have a strong impact on others, I hope that you can learn like I did about the consequences these actions can have. Again I would like to reiterate that I am sorry for what I did, and moving forward I hope we can remember the importance of promoting an environment that is safe and inclusive for every member of our community.

—Povilas Dauksa