Man fatally shot at 52nd & S. Cornell Avenue

David Kennedy was accidentally shot in the face in his friend’s apartment Friday night.

An accidental shooting killed a man in an apartment on the corner of East 52nd Street and South Cornell Avenue late last Friday.

The police found the victim, 24-year-old David Kennedy, in the apartment with a gunshot wound to the head. Paris D. Walker-Rush, 25, Kennedy’s friend who lives at that apartment, was arrested and charged with one felony count of involuntary manslaughter and two felony counts of unlawful use of a weapon.

According to the Chicago Tribune, police found Kennedy unresponsive at around 9:05 p.m., and he was pronounced dead on the scene at 10:45 p.m.

Walker-Rush’s attorney called the shooting a “total accident,” the Tribune reported. Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney Mary Hain told the Tribune that Walker-Rush, Kennedy, and two other men were smoking marijuana and passing the gun around before it accidentally discharged, shooting Kennedy in the face.

Court records indicate that on Sunday, Walker-Rush’s bail was set at $900,000 and his next court date is, as of now, unknown.