/  

February 18, 2014

SIT-IN ENDS!

This article was originally published on February 14, 1969 and was re-printed on February 18, 2014 as part of the Maroon's historical issue.

Students occupying the administration building have voted to end their two week old sit-in. A motion to leave the building within 24 hours passed by an overwhelming majority at a meeting in the building early Friday morning.

Earlier at that meeting, students had voted to modify the original demands of the sit-in. As of press time, it was not clear whether the group intended to maintain its demands after ending the sit-in.

They moved up to non-negotiable status three demands that were formerly stated “in principle” The demands are:

-End demolition, start construction in Woodlawn

-Open a day care center for faculty children

-Admit as students more Negroes, workers, and people from the “third world.”

Students at the meeting favored a plan to assemble as many people as possible in the administration building and stage a dramatic mass exit Friday afternoon. There will be a rally in front of the building at noon. The students plan to leave the building at 4:30 p.m.

Marlene Dixon, whose reappointment was the demonstrators’ chief demand, made an appearance at the meeting and talked briefly about the success of the sit-in.

The student power demand, which had been the most controversial inside and outside the two week sit-in, was dropped after little discussion. Only about a dozen voted to retain it.