IOP spring fellows to include two alums

Former deputy mayor of New York City Howard Wolfson (A.B. ’89), and political blogger and columnist Ana Marie Cox (A.B. ’94) are two of the six fellows.

The chief political columnist for Politico and a former adviser to both Michael Bloomberg and Hillary Rodham Clinton are among this spring’s visiting fellows at the Institute of Politics (IOP).

In a press release Monday, the IOP announced the names of the six fellows, including former Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele, former Representative Bob Inglis (R-SC), and syndicated political columnist Roger Simon.

The group also features two alums, Howard Wolfson (A.B. ’89), former deputy mayor of New York City under Mayor Michael Bloomberg and campaign adviser to Bloomberg and then-Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton; and Ana Marie Cox (A.B. ’94), founder of the political blog Wonkette and currently a columnist for The Guardian.

Providing an international perspective is David Muir, who directed political strategy for former U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown. This quarter, the IOP hosted U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron’s former senior strategist Steve Hilton.

Just as previous fellows have done, the spring fellows will hold office hours with students, participate in IOP programming and events, and lead seminars and discussion groups related to their fields of expertise. For example, Cox’s seminars “will explore the growing role of social media in modern politics,” and Inglis’ seminars will focus on energy and environmental issues, as he served as “the top Republican on the influential Energy & Environment Subcommittee,” according to the release.