Comeback victory fuels two more wins for 15–1 Maroons

In a home doubleheader against North Park (8–10) on Tuesday, softball took two victories by scores of 11–9 and 5–0.

The only thing better than a win on game day is two wins on game day. In a home doubleheader against North Park (8–10) on Tuesday, the Maroons took two victories by scores of 11–9 and 5–0.

The first game did not begin auspiciously, as the North Park Vikings jumped out to a 7–0 lead. It wasn’t until the third inning that the game started to turn around, with first-year infielder Anna Woolery initiating the Maroons’ comeback by scoring and then batting in Chicago’s second run in the fourth. Several fourth-years contributed, including outfielder Kaitlyn Carpenter, who followed Woolery’s RBI with a two-run double to add more fuel to the South Siders’ comeback. After four innings, North Park still led 7–4.

Fourth-year third baseman Maddie McManus hit a two-run double in the sixth that ignited a seven-run inning. McManus scored on second-year pitcher Jordan Poole’s double. Fourth-year catcher Zoe Oliver-Grey gave the Maroons the boost they needed to take the lead for the first time, as she smashed a three-run homer to give Chicago a 10–8 head. First-year outfielder Maggie O’Hara then added an insurance run in the final inning.

The Maroons tallied 11 hits and committed only one error in the game. Despite a North Park home run in the seventh inning, Poole was able to close the game and move to 8–0. Both Poole and O’Hara went two for three at the plate, each with an RBI.

“It was a good win and good to see how we played from behind, and we were able to keep our heads in it and come back,” McManus said. “It’s been great to see the team come together and see everyone’s hard work in the offseason come together on the field.”

In the second game against the Vikings, Poole shut out North Park, allowing only a single walk, three hits, and no runs. She now has 63 strikeouts on the year, a team best. The Maroons needed only six hits to secure the doubleheader sweep.

The scoring began when third-year outfielder Raechel Cloud delivered a single and then stole second. O’Hara singled, scoring Cloud. Other crucial hits came from Carpenter, Oliver-Grey, and second-years Devan Parkison and Kathleen Kohm. McManus closed the scoring with an RBI single.

The Maroons now boast an impressive 15–1 record and will play another four-game weekend, taking on North Central (20–3) at noon and 2 p.m. Saturday and UW–Whitewater (16–3) on Sunday at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Both competitors will surely be tough competition, putting Chicago’s 15–1 record to the test.