UCPD makes arrest for recent string of robberies

The suspect was charged with nine counts of robbery and is being investigated for involvement in similar crimes.

A suspect has been arrested and charged for a string of Hyde Park robberies, including those that took place between East 53rd Street and 55th Street between September and November, according to the University of Chicago Police Department (UCPD).

Tommy Langston, 21, was arrested on December 9 and has been charged with nine total counts of robbery in relation to the incidents, according to the Hyde Park Herald. He was arrested by the Chicago Police Department with assistance from the UCPD.

According to the UCPD incident reports, one of the robberies in question took place on September 7, 2014. Two suspects, one of whom implied possession of a weapon, stole from a student walking on the sidewalk on East 54th Street between South Ingleside Avenue and South Ellis Avenue. On November 5, two suspects, again one implying possession of a weapon, stole a cellphone and backpack from a victim on 54th Street. And on November 7, along Kimbark Avenue between 53rd Street and 54th Street, a suspect displayed a handgun and took a cell phone and wallet from a University of Chicago staff member.

Similar robberies took place within a week of the November 5 and 7 robberies: one on October 31 and another on November 6.

Langston is currently being investigated for his involvement in similar crimes in the area.