Squad looks to rebound following first loss

The Maroons look to regain their footing this weekend at Rhodes after their four-game win streak came to an end at Berry.

Following their first loss of the season to Berry in overtime, the Maroons are looking to bounce back and continue their winning ways this weekend as they make the eight hour bus ride to Memphis TN to compete against fellow SAA squad, Rhodes.

I think what we learned more than anything from last week’s game is that every single opportunity we have to take the field, it is pivotal to bring our best,” third-year captain Jackson Garrey said. “In this new conference, every game we play is winnable, but at the same time losable if we don’t prepare well and come out ready to play.  I think the guys are looking forward to heading down to Memphis and playing a team that for the last two years has been a really tough opponent for us. We have a good opportunity to get our season back on track and get back to our winning ways, and the guys and I are really excited for that opportunity this weekend”

Chicago’s undefeated record was snapped last weekend when Berry edged the home team by a score of 1724 in overtime. The loss knocked the Maroons out of the National top-25 rankings and kept Berry undefeated in conference play. Chicago is now ranked 31st while Berry was edged out of top-25 rankings at 27. Berry also now stands alone atop conference rankings.

The loss marked the first home loss for the Maroons since fall of 2011.The Maroons also had a pair of starters go down with injuries. This includes fourth-year tight-end Nathan Massey who has been a consistent force for Chicago, specifically on third down attempts. Third-year defensive back Davis Bitton also went down with a shoulder injury.

“Everyone on our team has forgotten about the loss to Berry. We strive to live under the philosophy that our next play is our best play. We are ready to go to Memphis and get back on track,” said fourth-year center Brock Appenzeller.

Rhodes is coming into the game hosting a 32. The Lynx were also defeated by Berry by a score of 024.. Rhodes was also handedly defeated by WashU earlier in the season.

Rhodes lost their starting quarterback earlier in the season and has yet to find their footing on offense. The opposition has only been able to score 35 points in the past three games while the Maroon have racked up 94. The Maroon defense, anchored by third-year captain Jackson Garrey are eager to capitalize on this.

The Lynx’s defense, known for their elaborate stunts and blitzes, will put the offensive running game, fueled in large part by second-year running back Chandler Carroll, under stress.  The Maroon offense will be looking to third-year quarterback Burke Moser and a pair of fourth-year receivers in Cole Thoms and Sam Coleman to create a consistent and effective offensive attack. Thoms, who is coming off a 63-yard touchdown last weekend, explained, “With Nathan Massey going down, Sam and I know more of the passing game rests on our shoulders as well as some younger players. We are prepared for the increased attention we will be recieving Saturday.”

After struggling to find a rhythm the past two games, Moser will be looking to lead the squad this weekend.

Appenzeller explains, “I love watching Burke play. He goes out and has fun. I trust him to lead the offense this weekend.”

The Maroons will look to extend their record to 51 and climb back into the top-25 rankings. Cracking the top-25 was the first time in program history and the Maroons and not quick to forget the importance of this ranking come playoffs.

“We are only halfway through the season and there is still a lot to be gained.” Thoms said.

The Maroons kick-off the game in Memphis at noon on Saturday.