Onwards and upwards: Campus North construction reaches 15th story

Dorm and dining commons on track for June 2016 completion.
+
Annie Nazzaro

Campus North has faced no delays so far in its construction—the new dorm is on schedule for June 2016 completion. The structure topped out at 15 stories this past August.  

Though the dorm has been under construction since July of 2014, progress became much more visible over the summer, after the underground work was completed. “The reason why it seems like it sprung up overnight is because the first six to eight months, almost all the work was below [ground], because the foundation is the hardest part,” said Eric Eichler, senior project manager for Campus North. “Once we got out of the ground we were able to basically add a floor to the structure almost weekly.”

“Weather has been the main obstacle in construction,” Eichler said. Working the cranes to attach the concrete-paneled façade became impossible when the wind was over a certain threshold, occasionally cancelling shipments of the panels and delaying work.

However, none of that was significant enough to push the construction off-schedule.

Campus North will be open for students in September 2016. Planned to house 800 students, the complex will also include a dining hall and five built-in retail spaces on the ground floor. One of those, along South University Avenue, is meant to be a restaurant with an outdoor dining space. However, which retailers or restaurants will occupy those spaces won’t be determined until after construction is complete.

(Annie Nazzaro)
(Annie Nazzaro)
(Annie Nazzaro)
(Annie Nazzaro)
(Annie Nazzaro)