the Sketch

The South Asian Students Association (SASA) brings comedian Hari Kondabolu to Mandel Hall. Hailed by The New York Times as “one of the most exciting political comics in stand-up today,” Brooklyn-based Kondabolu has performed stand-up on The Late Show with David Letterman, Conan, and Jimmy Kimmel Live. The show starts at 7:30 p.m., but festivities begin outside Mandel Hall at 6:30 p.m., including an interactive photo booth and Indian food.

Tonight, doors open at 7 p.m., Mandel Hall, free with UCID.

Chicago Artists Month (October 1–November 15) continues with a performance of “expanded cinema” presented by Full Spectrum Features and CIMMfest. Chicag-area filmmakers will creatively reinterpret their own works in ways that intersect live music, narration, and performance.

November 6–7, 7–10 p.m. Locallective, 1257 Milwaukee Avenue.

Now that Halloween has come and gone, it’s time to focus on the most important fall activity: pie baking and eating. Join the South Side community’s annual pie bake off this Saturday. There are four categories: fruit, nut, sweet potato/pumpkin, and crème. The pies will be judged by a number of professionals from around the city, including award-winning chef Yoshi Yamada (of Lula Cafe and Blackbird), as well as Matt Sliwinski (chef de cuisine at the Promontory). All proceeds from the bake-off go to the Hyde Park & Kenwood Hunger Programs.

November 7, 2–5 p.m. Hyde Park Neighborhood Club, 5480 South Kenwood Avenue.

The Oscar-nominated Macedonian director Milcho Manchevski (Before the Rain) will present his film Mothers. Blending fiction and documentary, Manchevski’s experimental triptych deals with the lives of contemporary Macedonian women.

Friday, November 13 at 7 p.m., Logan Center for the Arts, free admission.

Ever wondered who actually buys those University of Chicago postcards at the bookstore? Greetings from the Midway puts more than one hundred years of UChicago-themed postcards to good use, using its vintage collection of the mementos to trace the University’s history. Although the exhibit opened Tuesday, the formal opening is this coming Tuesday, including an opening reception, a lecture by Professor Emeritus in History and Art History Neil Harris, and a guided tour.

Now until January 3, Logan Center for the Arts. Opening lecture and tour November 10, 6 p.m.

The Arcanto Quartet—Antje Weithaas, Daniel Sepec, Tabea Zimmermann, and Jean-Guihen Queyras—will make their Chicago debut at Mandel Hall with quartets by Schumann and Smetana, as well as selected arrangements of Bach’s The Art of Fugue. The Telegraph praises their “freshness, close rapport, finesse, [and] blend of eloquence and vitality” and lauds them as “one of the most stimulating and enjoyable ensembles to listen to, no matter what is playing.”

Friday, November 13 at 7:30 p.m., Mandel Hall, $5 tickets for students, $35 otherwise.