Maroons to face familiar foes on the road

The women’s basketball team looks to extend its six game winning streak on the road against Case and Carnegie.

After hosting Case Western (7–11, 1–6 UAA) and Carnegie Mellon (11–7, 2–5) just a week ago, the South Siders will travel to their courts and try to replicate their winning ways.

The Maroons have come a long way since the beginning of the year. The season started off disappointingly slow, with the South Siders picking up just one win in their first five games. But when things turned around, they turned around completely.

Recently it has seemed like Chicago can do no wrong. It has strung together nine wins in its last 10 matches. Its only loss, moreover, came to No. 6 Wash U. The turnaround has come with a change in mentality.

“I think a major part in our recent successes has been due to our increase in confidence and knowing that we have something to prove,” said second-year guard Stephanie Anderson. “Most people didn’t really expect much from us at the beginning of the season, and knowing that has motivated us to push harder in practice and in games to show how great of a team we are. Once our winning streak began, we started to gain a lot more confidence and truly believe that we deserve to win each game.”

Whereas Chicago has experienced success, its opponents have experienced troubles recently. The Spartans will enter the match looking to pick up their third win in their last 12 games. The Tartans will look to snap a two-game skid.

If there is something Chicago’s opponents can look forward to, however, it is the Maroons’ less than stellar away record. On the road, the Maroons sport just five wins to four losses.

But that’s not at all that’s on the Maroons’ minds. Just as they have done in all their recent games, they will look to continue playing team basketball, to prepare for each opponent with focus.

“We’ve been working hard and playing well together and that’s made all the difference,” said first-year guard Elizabeth Nye. “We just need to keep preparing for each game individually and take it one game at a time.”

For all teams involved, the latest stretch of games will prove critical. Chicago, Case Western, and Carnegie Mellon will end their seasons with seven UAA games. While the South Siders will play to finish atop the conference, the Spartans and the Tartans will look to climb back to respectable positions in the league.

The Maroons face Case Western Reserve on Friday at 6 p.m. They take on Carnegie Mellon at 1 p.m. on Sunday.