Maroons send IIT home empty-handed in doubleheader

The Chicago baseball team went 3–1 over the weekend with two wins over IIT and one over Eureka. The wins bring their season record to 17–17.

The Maroons bounced back after their loss to Concordia (WI) on Wednesday, coming out of the past weekend 3–1 and bringing their season record to .500 and 17–17. They played two doubleheaders, one on Saturday against Illinois Tech at home, and one on Sunday at Eureka.

The Saturday games resulted in two great wins for Chicago, with the first an 11–3 blowout, and the second a 10–6 victory against the now 21–9 Cobbers of Concordia. Third-year pitcher Lucas Friss got the first win for the Maroons, striking out eight batters and only allowing three runs, eight hits, and one walk through all seven innings. Fourth-year third baseman Kyle Engel hit his 22nd double of the season, going 3–3 with three RBI. In total, the efficient South Siders only committed one error and had 10 hits in the first game en route to their opening victory of the week.

The second game of the doubleheader was slightly closer, and was reflected by the 10 hits and three errors by the Maroons. Second-year pitcher Tom Prescott started the game and went four innings while giving up five runs, seven hits, and one walk. Fourth-year pitcher Simon Swanson closed out the last three innings and got the win, bringing his record to 3–0 for the year.

“I think the key to our success on the mound has been trusting the defense to make plays,” said Swanson on his success this year. “There are seven guys behind me who I know will make a play for me, which really helps take the pressure off.”

On Sunday, Chicago drove out to Eureka College for another doubleheader, and ended up splitting the set 1–1. The first game was brilliant for the Maroon hitters, with six players hitting a total of seven doubles, and three players hitting homers. Fourth-year pitcher Anthony DeRenzo got the win in six innings, allowing six runs, nine hits, and three walks. The South Siders capped this stellar performance with only two errors and a season-best 17 runs.

Unfortunately, the great weekend would end in defeat for Chicago. Eureka rallied in the second game to beat the Maroons 7–4. While the South Siders started out well, leading 3–2 after four innings, the Red Devils of Eureka stormed back in the fifth inning with five runs. Chicago threw a trio of first-year pitchers at Eureka; Ricardo Fernandez pitched four and a third innings and took the loss, Robert Fuentes threw one-third of an inning, and Chase Packard tossed the last one and a third innings, but to no avail as the Maroons were not able to scrounge up enough offense to cap off what would otherwise have been an undefeated week.

Still, the Maroons hope to take this disappointing loss and move forward. “I think we’re playing good baseball right now. We’re looking for a good last few games for us seniors and I also think there’s a lot to be excited about for next year,” Swanson said.

Last evening, the Maroons were able to snag a 5–3 victory over Edgewood. With that victory, the Maroons improved to a winning record of 18–17. The Maroons’ next game will be this Friday at 3 p.m. when they play host to the Bears of Wash U.