Committee on University Discipline for Disruptive Conduct Holds Open Forum for Students

The newly created Committee on University Discipline for Disruptive Conduct will hold an open forum on Thursday for all students.

At an open forum on Thursday, students will have the opportunity to give a University committee suggestions on how and when it should discipline students who disrupt free speech on campus.

The meeting will run from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Reynolds Club South Lounge. Committee Chair Randy Picker, committee member Michele Rasmussen, and Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs Ingrid Gould will be at the discussion.

The newly created Committee on University Discipline for Disruptive Conduct has been tasked with reviving a disciplinary system that hasn’t been used since the 1970s.

According to a message sent by Provost Eric D. Isaacs announcing the committee’s creation, the members will evaluate issues with the All-University Disciplinary System’s procedures regarding disruptions of University functions. The announcement also states that the committee was formed in response to the perceived threat to the University’s values posed by multiple situations last year in which speakers were interrupted by shouting and protests from the audience. The committee’s recommendations are due on December 15.

The Maroon obtained a copy of the All-University Disciplinary System’s procedures from Committee Chair Randy Picker.