University of Chicago 13th in World University Ranking

This year, Chicago fell directly behind Princeton University, Johns Hopkins, and the University of Washington.

The University of Chicago ranked 13th in U.S. News and World Report’s 2017 Best Global Universities Rankings, a drop from 10th place in the 2016 rankings.  

The report was released on Tuesday and evaluated 1,000 universities from 65 different countries. 

This year, Chicago fell directly behind Princeton University, Johns Hopkins, and the University of Washington. Harvard and MIT topped the lists at number one and number two, respectively, in both 2016 and 2017. In both years, the top ten universities were either American or British.  

A different methodology is used to calculate U.S. News and World Report’s Best Global Universities Rankings than for its Best Colleges and Best Graduate Schools rankings, which only evaluate U.S. institutions. The focus for the calculation of the Best Global Universities rankings are the institution’s research performance and prestige, while the Best Colleges report focuses on academic quality, including rates of retention and graduation of U.S. colleges. In the 2017 Best Colleges report, the University tied with Yale for third place.