On and Around Campus: October 28 – November 3

A WHPK DJ–in, Boos n’ Ribs, and an event on the future of Chicago schools.

Friday, 10/28 

WHPK DJ–in 

To protest the recent changes to WHPK broadcasting policy, DJs will be spinning on the quad throughout the day. This informal event will feature music and refreshments. 

Main Quad, 9 a.m.–9 p.m., free.

Workshop: Linguistic and Other Cultural Exchanges Across Brazilian History: The Indigenous Role 

This two-day conference will feature anthropologists, historians, linguists, and a host of other experts examining the history of cultural exchange between the indigenous people of Brazil and colonists. Lunch and light refreshments will be provided for those who register. 

Franke Institute for the Humanities, 9:30 a.m.–5 p.m. on Friday, 9 a.m.–4 p.m. on Saturday, free, RSVP online.

What a Long, Strange Trip It’s Been: Maureen Dowd and Carl Hulse on the 2016 Election 

Pulitzer-Prize winning New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd and fellow Times chief Washington correspondent Carl Hulse will be sitting down at the IOP at 12:15 p.m. to dissect the peculiarities of the 2016 election season and the consequences of its outcome. Dowd will be signing copies of her book, The Year of Voting Dangerously. This event is open to UChicago students; UCID is required. 

Quadrangle Club Library, 12:15–1:15 p.m., free, RSVP online.

Property, Efficiency, and the State: The Neoliberal Critique of Bureaucracy, 1945–1970 

Joel Isaac, a senior lecturer in the History of Modern Political Thought at the University of Cambridge and a fellow of the Christ’s College, will present his paper, “Property, Efficiency, and the State: The Neoliberal Critique of Bureaucracy, 1945-1970.” The paper examines state bureaucracies and experts in the neoliberal revolution of the post-war political economy. 

Neubauer Collegium for Culture and Society, 2–3 p.m., free, RSVP online.

Lily Hoang + Jackie Wang: Reading and discussion 

Authors Lily Hoang and Jackie Wang will be reading from Hoang’s novel A Bestiary and from Wang’s poetry, respectively. Then, professor Lauren Berlant will be discussing their selections. After that, the two authors will be leading a workshop entitled “Feeling Out of Space: Trauma Monsters and Magic.” Through collaborative exercises, they will examine the connections between the feelings of being lost and the concept of mythical monstrosities. 

The Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality, 4:30–6 p.m., free.

Hubbub in the Wine House: The Mutinous Voice in ‘Attar and ‘Eraqi 

Fatemah Keshavarz is the author of several books on Persian poetry, an activist for cultural education and a professor at the University of Maryland. She will be lecturing on a pair of Persian poets. Join her before the lecture from 1:30–3 p.m. for Tea and Sweets in Pick Lounge.  

Room 146, Saieh Hall, 4:30–6 p.m., free

On “A Book to Burn and a Book to Keep (Hidden)” 

Li Zhi was a radical philosopher in the late-Ming era of China. His writing examined Daoist, Confucian, and Buddhist principles, and was widely regarded as heretical within his time. Regardless, many of his contemporaries were still fascinated by the work, and his ideas heavily influenced the next generation of Chinese thinkers. This event will feature the translators who collected some of Zhi’s most influential work into the new anthology, A Book to Burn and a Book to Keep

Seminary Co-Op, 6:30–8:30 p.m., free.

Boos n’ Ribs! 

This Council on University Programming Halloween event will feature food, music, dancing, and a costume contest. The Dirt Red Brass Band, Ransom Notes, and Men in Drag will all be performing, and the UChicago Swing Dance Society will be offering swing lessons. The event, catered by Pork Chop, will include a variety of comfort foods: mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, and of course, ribs.  

Ida Noyes Hall, 7–10 p.m., free.

Saturday, 10/29  

Hashtag Lunchbag: Make and Give Out Food for the Homeless 

Every last Saturday of the month, the community will come together to prepare lunches and distribute the bags to the homeless. This month, the goal is to make, bag and distribute at least 1,000 lunches. All ages are invited to participate.  

The Promontory, 5311 S. Lake Park, 10 a.m.–noon, $10, RSVP here.

Reverend Addie Wyatt: Faith and the Fight for Labor, Gender & Racial Equality 

Marcia Walker-McWilliams, Ph.D., will be discussing her book, Reverend Addie Wyatt: Faith and the Fight for Labor, Gender, and Racial Equality. The biography centers around Wyatt, a civil rights activist, feminist, clergywoman and labor leader, and how she affected changed in 20th century America.

Woodson Library Auditorium, 9525 S. Halsted Street, 1 p.m., free.

The King of Pop and the Godfather of Soul Live  

Two talented pop artist impersonators will join together for a one-night only Michael Jackson and James Brown experience. This concert will feature classic songs from both artists, and is friendly for anyone to attend. 

Performance Hall, Logan Center, 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., general admission $35, student $28, RSVP online.

Weekend of Workshops 

These theater workshops feature accomplished student directors who will be speaking about their work with various plays. The audience will be invited to participate and engage with the directors. The event will also feature a performance by UChicago Commedia. 

Logan Center, FXK Theater, 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., free, RSVP online.

Mummies Night at the Oriental Institute 

The Oriental Institute is hosting a Halloween family party, entitled, “Mummy Night”. The party is mummy-themed, providing families the opportunity to participate in various mummy-related activities, such as a museum tours, craft stations, and story-time. There will also be photo opportunities, face painting and a DJ. 

Oriental Institute Museum, 5–8 p.m., free, RSVP online.

Reading the Black Library with Marcus Samuelsson: Red Rooster Cookbook

Chef Marcus Samuelsson will be discussing his new book, The Red Rooster Cookbook: The Story of Food and Hustle in Harlem. This book draws from Samuelsson’s experience as the owner and head chef at the Red Rooster restaurant, and includes essays and interviews alongside award-winning recipes. 

Currency Exchange Cafe, 305 E. Garfield Boulevard, 6–9 p.m., free.

Halloween Fun at 57th Street Books 

Don a costume in the vein of your favorite literary character and head over to 57th Street Books for a night of scary stories in celebration of Halloween. 

57th St. Books, 1301 E. 57th Street, 6–8 p.m.

Magic, Curses, and Spells! Halloween Concert 

The University Symphony Orchestra will be performing a spooky collection of songs, including selections from Sleeping BeautyThe Sorcerer’s Apprentice, and Harry Potter. Members of the orchestra will be wearing costumes, and the audience is also encouraged to dress up. The suggested donation for students is $5. 

Mandel Hall, 7 p.m. and 9 p.m., free, donations encouraged.

Sunday, 10/30  

South Shore Opera Company: “Harriet Tubman: When I Crossed That Line to Freedom”  

The South Shore Opera Company will host a two-act opera based on Harriet Tubman (played by Joelle Lamarre), one of the leaders of the Underground Railroad movement.  

South Shore Cultural Center, 7059 S. South Shore Drive, reception 4–5p.m., opera 5–8 p.m., dinner and entertainment 7–9 p.m., opera & reception are $75.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Rockefeller Chapel 

Doc Films will be showing the 1923 silent film adaption of The Hunchback of Notre Dame with live organ and carillon accompaniment.  

Rockefeller Chapel, 7–8 p.m., $20 general admission, free for students and Doc Film members.

Monday, 10/31–Halloween!

Cuba–U.S. Relations: What’s in Store 

Wednesday, for the first time in nearly a quarter century, the United States did not vote against the regularly revived United Nations resolution condemning its embargo of Cuba. It’s an exciting time in U.S.–Cuban relations, and Raúl Rodríguez Rodríguez, the Director of the Center for Hemispheric and United States studies at the University of Havana presumably has an interesting perspective on recent developments. 

Institute of Politics, 12:15–1:15 p.m., students only, register online.

Grand Challenges in Phylogenomics 

Tandy Warnow is a computer scientist and the Founder Professor of Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign. Warnow will examine the Tree of Life and discuss new methods of estimating species trees. Refreshments will be provided.   

Room 133, Eckhardt, 4 p.m., free.

Workshop: Comparing Practices of Knowledge 

Postdoc Stuart McManus will be discussing the importance of public speeches in the rise of Iberia’s empire. From religious sermons to political orations, the importance of spoken word cannot be overstated when it comes to power relations throughout history. 

Room 104B, Green Hall, 4:30–6 p.m., free.

Tuesday, 11/1  

What’s Next for Chicago Schools 

Chicago Public School teachers did not go on strike this month, but that doesn’t mean public education in Chicago is likely to turn uninteresting any time soon. Timothy Knowles, the chairman of the University of Chicago’s Urban Education Institute, will consider likely future developments. 

Institute of Politics, 12:15–1:15 p.m.

When Theft Becomes Grievance: The Violation of Land Rights as a Cause of Agrarian Reform Claims in Latin America 

Maria Paula Saffon will be discussing her work with comparative politics within Latin America. In particular, she will use this lecture to discuss how land rights contribute deeply to the political landscape of a country, and how they can be the backbone for revolution and reform. 

Room 224, Social Science Research, noon–1:30 p.m., free.

E.E. Just Lecture: Yasmin Hurd, Ph.D

Professor Yasmin Hurd of Mount Sinai College will be speaking about the neurobiology of addiction in developing brains. Her research has focused primarily on the effects marijuana can have on a teenage brain, and if regular smoking can cause a person be more prone to developing addictions later in life. 

Room 1103, Knapp Center for Biological Discovery, noon–1:30 p.m., free.

The Urban Workshop  

Xavier Wrona, professor of architecture at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Architecture de Saint-Etienne, and Sean Keller, professor at the ITT School of Architecture, will be discussing urban issues that affect the field of architecture. 

Harper Memorial Library, Room 104, noon–1:20 p.m., free.

Biosafety Training 

This IBC–approved course covers Biosafety Level 2 and Recombinant DNA, Bloodborne Pathogens for Biomedical Researchers, and Viral Vector Training. Completing this course provides students with credit in CATTS for all three training modules. Open to students, faculty, hospital employees, and staff. 

Room 617, Cummings Life Sciences Center, 1–4 p.m.

Evolution of Samba in Brazilian Music 

Brazilian composer Sérgio Assad will discuss Samba, Brazil’s most widely recognized style music, along with his daughter, Clarice Assad, a Grammy-nominated composer. 

Goodspeed Hall, Fulton Recital Hall, 4th floor, 4:30–6:30 p.m., free.

Director’s Lecture: Anna Tsouhlarakis 

Join artist Anna Tsouhlarakis and members of the UChicago faculty to discuss Tsouhlarakis’s distinct art that examines what it means to be Native American.  

Neubauer Collegium for Culture and Society, 5701 S. Woodlawn Ave, 5–6 p.m.

Making the Most of Office Hours 

At this event, instructors for the Center for College Student Success will discuss how to approach professor office hours. Food will be provided. 

Room 101, Stuart Hall, 6–7:30 p.m.

“The World Reimagined” with Mark Philip Bradley 

Professor Mark Philip Bradley will examine the intellectual history and language of human rights in the United States. Professor Haun Saussy will serve as the interlocutor. The event is co-sponsored by the Pozen Center for Human Rights. 

Seminary Co-Op Bookstore, 5751 S. Woodlawn, 6–7:30 p.m., free.

Wednesday, 11/2 

Black Hole Physics with the Event Horizon Telescope 

As one of this quarter’s Astronomy colloquia, Ferya Ozel of the University of Arizona will discuss how black holes gain mass. 

Room 161, Eckhardt Research Center, 3:30 p.m., free.

Racing the International: “Racing International Law” 

Join professors James T. Gathii, Renisa Mawani, and Teemu Ruskola as they discuss how race is constructed by international law as a means of exclusion.  

CSRPC, 5733 S. University Ave, 4:30–6 p.m., free.

Poetry Reading: David Lazar and Diane Raptosh 

David Lazar, the author of Who’s Afraid of Helen of Troy: An Essay on Love, and Diane Raptosh, the author of Human Directional, will read from their new books of poetry. 

57th St. Books, 6–7:30 p.m.

Life Lessons: Voting + Rights = Justice 

This event in a series of community forums will focus on voting rights and the United States Supreme Court. Panelists include the president of the Cook County Bar Association, a professor at Northeast Illinois University, and the executive director of the non-profit Social Change. 

Ames Auditorium, DuSable Museum, 740 E. 56th Place, 6–8:30 p.m.

How the Arab World Came Apart: The Groundbreaking New York Times Multimedia Project 

New York Times journalist Scott Anderson’s piece “Fractured Lands” considered the dissolution of the Middle East through heavily reported journalism, photography, and virtual reality. Anderson will join Jon Sawyer, the executive director of the Pulitzer Center, and Kerry Luft, the former foreign editor of the Chicago Tribune

3rd Floor Theater, Ida Noyes Hall, 6:15–7:30 p.m. RSVP online.

Sliced Bread Magazine Spring/Fall 2016 Launch Party 

Sliced Bread is celebrating the launch of their Spring/Fall 2016 issue with an open mic night. Snacks will be provided.  

McCormick Lounge, Reynolds Club, 6:30–8:30 p.m.

The Syro-Anatolian City-States: A Neglected Iron Age Culture 

James Osborne, an assistant director of Anatolian architecture at the Oriental Institute, will talk about the Syro-Anatolian culture in the Iron Ages, a culture that is generally overshadowed by the neighboring neo-Assyrians and Israelites when discussing history. 

Oriental Institute, 7–9 p.m., free, RSVP online.

Thursday, 11/3

Transformation of Brazilian Citizenship 

History professor Celso Castilho will be discussing how the abolition of slavery in Brazil and the subsequent pro-slavery reaction had profound effects for the political atmosphere of the country for years afterward. He examines the event not only within the context of Brazil, but also the wider contexts of world history at that time. 

Foster Hall, Room 103, noon–1:30 p.m., free, RSVP online.

Mesopotamian Land Tenure: A Look at the Chicago Stone and Other Kudurrus 

Kudurrus were used by the ancient Mesopotamians to record property rights. This 45-minute lecture will take guests through the history of kudurru usage from 3000 B.C. to 1000 B.C. 

Oriental Institute, 12:15–1 p.m., free.

Ann Cvetkovich: “Writing as Archival Practice” 

Ann Cvetkovich, professor of English and Women’s and Gender Studies at the University of Texas at Austin, leads this event, which based on her own current projects. It will be a mixture of lecture, discussion, and group-writing workshop.  

The Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality, 4:30–6:30 p.m.

Film Screening: A War 

The Hyde Park Art Center, as part of their War Stories exhibition with show the Danish Film, A War. The artist Mary King, who selected the feature, will give an introduction to the film and discuss its connections to her art.  

Hyde Park Art Center, 5:30–7 p.m.

James Orbesen & Elizabeth Cooke: Coming of Age at the End of Nature

James Orbesen and Elizabeth Cooke will discuss their contributions to the anthology Coming of Age at the End of Nature: A Generation Faces Living on a Changed Planet. The book features 22 essays concerning environmental damage and justice.  

Seminary Co-Op Bookstore, 6–7:30 p.m. 

Scott G. Bruce: The Penguin Book of the Undead 

Scott G. Bruce, director of the Center for Medieval and Early Modern Studies at the University of Colorado Boulder will discuss his book The Penguin Book of the Undead: Fifteen Hundred Years of Supernatural Encounters.  

Seminary Co-Op Bookstore, 6–7:30 p.m. 

China, Art, History: New Orientations Keynote Event 

Professors from universities across the United States will be discussing the wide-ranging implications of Chinese art history. The event will cover not only the complex relationship between Chinese art and political history, but also how these thousands of years of culture will affect our future. 

Performance Penthouse, Logan Center, 7–8 p.m., free.