After the Revolution Play

After the Revolution, a play written by Amy Herzog and directed by third-year Megan Philippi, depicts the story of a Marxist family thrown into conflict when an unpleasant truth about the family's much-venerated grandfather comes to light.

By Zoe Kaiser

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon

ARTS

/  

November 23, 2016

image

The play's main character, the social-activist Emma Joseph (played by second-year Sophie Hoyt) comes on a family visit after graduating law school.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Emma's father (played by first-year Thomas Noriega) argues with her over how they should deal with the fact that her grandfather acted as a Soviet spy.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Emma explains to her biggest donor Morty (played by second-year Tom Klosterman) that she feels uncomfortable accepting donations for her fund, since it is named for her grandfather.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Emma argues with her boyfriend Miguel (played by first-year Austin Regalado), who is exasperated that she is flagging in their mission to free a prisoner on death row because of her family's past.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Doubting her past, her family, and even the righteousness of her current social-justice work, Emma feels like her life is falling apart.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Emma bonds with her sister Jess (played by third-year Maggie Strahan), who has recently left rehab and begun to get her life together.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Emma and her father finally lay out their grievances with each other and get some closure.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Emma explains to her grandmother (played by fourth-year Melissa Needlman) the conclusions she has reached after much soul-searching.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon