Latke-Hamentash Debate 70th Anniversary Special

The 70th Annual Latke-Hamantash took place on November 22nd. This humorous debate pits the Latke - a Jewish potato pancake traditionally eaten on the holiday Hanukkah -- against the hamentash -- a triangular cookie eaten on the holiday of Purim.

By Zoe Kaiser and Yao Xen Tan

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon

/  

November 26, 2016

image

As people file into Mandel Hall for the debate, they are handed ballots to vote for either the latke or the hamentash.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Rhythm & Jews opens the event with a selection of Jewish parody songs.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Rhythm & Jews performs the song "Werewolf Bar Mitzvah".

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Rabbi and Executive Directer of Hillel Anna Levin Rosen explains that the latke and hamentash have been secretly married for seventy years.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

The debate moderator Hal Weitzman explains that the hamentash is modeled off the triangular hat of Haman, the villain of the Purim story. He precedes to determine whether people are Jewish friends or foes based on their headdress.

Yao Xen Tan / The Chicago Maroon
image

Weitzman concludes that Trump wishes to make America grate again.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Professor of Astronomy and Astrophysics Wendy Freedman explains that she can provide the first complete recipe for latkes and hamentashen. She argues that the latke is superior, since potatoes resemble planets, and latkes, the galaxies.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Dean of the Social Sciences Division David Nirenberg shows a video where he conducts short interviews with other faculty members - they conclude that the latke is superior.

Yao Xen Tan / The Chicago Maroon
image

Professor of Classics and Gender Studies Shadi Bartsch-Zimmer uses the medicine of the classical world to prove that the latke is the better food.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon
image

Associate Professor of Computer Science Anne Rogers draws on her roles as computer scientist, administrator, and educator, to speak on behalf of the latke in what ended up a singularly one-sided debate.

Zoe Kaiser / The Chicago Maroon