House Arrest for Source of Shooting Threat is Loosened

Under the new terms of Dean’s home detention, he is allowed to leave his mother’s home between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

A federal judge loosened the terms of house arrest for Jabari Dean on Tuesday to allow him to search for jobs, according to DNAInfo.

Dean was arrested on November 30 after threatening to kill 16 white males at the University of Chicago in comments on the website WorldStarHipHop.com. The threats were a reaction to the killing of Laquan McDonald by Chicago Police officer Jason Van Dyke.

Though Dean deleted the comments shortly after posting them, the FBI began an investigation of the threats, according to the criminal complaint filed by FBI Special Agent Sean Burke. Based on the FBI investigation of the threats, the University cancelled all classes and campus activities on November 30.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Susan Cox released Dean on December 1 to serve home detention at his mother’s home in South Shore and ordered him not to use the Internet. Judge Cox allowed Dean, a 21-year-old student at the University of Illinois at Chicago, to continue his classes there while serving home detention.

Dean has yet to plead guilty or not guilty to the charge of transmitting a threat in interstate commerce. He is awaiting the results of a mental health screening that occurred on the date of his first court appearance on November 30. The maximum prison sentence for transmitting a threat in interstate commerce is five years.