On and Around Campus March 4–March 11

Friday 3/4:

The Effect of Climate Change on Human Rights

2:30–3:30 p.m, Institute of Politics, 5707 South Woodlawn Avenue

Sheila Watt-Cloutier, a Canadian-Inuit activist, will speak on how climate change affects the Arctic and violates human rights. According to Watt-Cloutier, the loss of sea-ice threatens the continuation of Inuit hunting culture. Watt-Cloutier has also published a book on the subject, titled The Right to Be Cold.

Pre-Screening of Race for the White House, 1992: Clinton vs. Bush

5:30 p.m., Institute of Politics, 5707 South Woodlawn Avenue

The Institute of Politics (IOP) presents an advance screening of the sixth episode of Race for the White House, a six-part CNN series capturing interesting campaigns for the presidency. This episode highlights the 1992 Clinton vs. Bush election.

Concert and Lecture on Irish and Scottish Music

6:30 p.m. lecture, 7:30 p.m. concert, 1131 East 57th Street

Jordi Savall and Frank McGuire will perform Irish folk songs that were rehabilitated for upscale audiences in the 18th century. Savall, a Spanish conductor and musician, will play the viol, and McGuire will play the bodrhán. Robert Kendrick, professor of music and co-director of Graduate Admissions, will give a lecture before the performance.

Almost There with Dan Rybicky

7 p.m., Cobb Theater (third floor,) Film Studies Center, 5811 South Ellis Avenue

Filmmaker Dan Rybicky presents his 2014 film, Almost There, co-directed with Aaron Wickenden. The film follows Dave Anton, an aging, gifted artist, as he navigates mental illness, aging in America, and the redemptive power of art late in his life. Dan Rybicky is an artist and teacher whose photographs, installations, and plays have been seen in venues in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Rybicky is an Associate Professor in Cinema Art and Science at Columbia College Chicago.

Staged Reading of Trifles by Susan Glaspell

8 p.m., Augustana Lutheran Church, 5500 South Woodlawn Avenue, $5 admission.

The Hyde Park Community Players will present a one-act performance of Susan Glaspell’s Trifles, directed by Georgia Geis. The organization hosts a monthly staged-reading series of one-hour performances. This one-act is loosely based on the mysterious murder of John Hossack, which Glaspell covered as a journalist for the Des Moines Daily.

Saturday 3/5:

Gentrification. It’s Here. What’s Next?

10 a.m.–12 p.m., Augustana Lutheran Church, 5500 South Woodlawn Avenue

Gentrification has long been a source of anxiety for Hyde Parkers, and the introduction of a series of ritzy apartment buildings to the neighborhood has only escalated concerns. This event, with Northwestern professor Jesse Mumm, assumes that gentrification is a foregone conclusion, and considers its consequences.

Writing Suspense with Libby Hellmann

10 a.m. at 57th Street Books, 1301 East 57th Street. Free with the purchase of a Libby Hellmann book.

Libby Hellmann, a Chicago-based mystery writer and the author of a new thriller entitled Jump Start, is holding a book signing and suspense-writing workshop at 57th Street Books. Although the workshop is centered around the use of suspense in crime writing, the event is open to writers of all genres.

One Earth Film Festival

12 p.m., International House, 1414 East 59th Street; 3 p.m., Experimental Station, 6100 South Blackstone Avenue; 7 p.m.,Logan Center, 915 East 60th Street

This fifth annual event, which aims to inform and inspire dialogue and action about environmental issues, will feature 35 movies on a range of environmental topics across the Chicago area. My Stuff will be shown at International House, This Changes Everything at the Experimental Station, and Racing Extinction at the Logan Center.

University Symphony Orchestra: Brahms and Stravinsky

8 p.m., Mandel Hall, reception in Hutch Commons afterwards. Free, donations requested: $10 general admission, $5 student admission

The University Orchestra will be playing Stravinsky’s “Petrushka” and Brahms’s Symphony No. 3 in F major. “The Brahms is just beautiful. It’s just straight-up beautiful,” first-year orchestra member Simone Browne said.

Sunday 3/6:

University Brass Ensemble

2–3 p.m., Fulton Hall, 5801 South Ellis Avenue

The University of Chicago Brass Ensemble will perform a program of opera favorites, including selections of Bizet’s Carmen and Puccini’s Turandot. The performance is sponsored by the University’s Music Department.

King Lear Screening and Discussion

2 p.m. and 7 p.m., Logan Center Screening Room, 915 East 60th Street

Peter Brook and Grigori Kozintsev made their film adaptations of Shakespeare’s King Lear simultaneously and exchanged letters throughout the process. This screening of the two movies, and the subsequent discussion led by Richard Strier, Professor Emeritus in English, will try to suss out the differences in their interpretations. There will be free pizza between screenings.

University Choir and Women’s Ensemble

3–4:30 p.m., Logan Center Performance Hall, 915 East 60th Street

Directed by Mollie Stone, assistant director of Choral Activities, the University Choir and Women’s Ensemble will perform classical repertoire from various time periods, folk songs from around the world, and a range of American musical styles. The performance is sponsored by the University’s Music Department.

Monday 3/7:

A Nation in the Cloud: Apple Takes a Stand for Privacy

12:15–1:15 p.m,, Institute of Politics, 5707 South Woodlawn Avenue

In light of the FBI’s request that Apple unlock an iPhone that belonged to one of the San Bernadino attackers, the IOP’s News and Views Committee, Professor Aziz Huq, and Professor Edward Lee will discuss the legal questions of the case. They will also discuss the future of technology and privacy and the role corporations take in U.S. security.

Yoko Tawada: 2016 Najita Distinguished Lecture

4:30–6:30 p.m., International House Assembly Hall, 1414 East 59th Street

Yoko Tawada, an acclaimed writer who writes in Japanese and German, will present the 2016 Najita Distinguished Lecture as the keynote of the day-long “Where Literature Begins: The Practice and Poetics of Multilingual Address” symposium. Tawada’s address, like her writing, will explore themes of multilingual address, translation, and the crevasses and gaps between languages. She is known for works including The Bridegroom Was a Dog (2002), Where Europe Begins (2002), and The Naked Eye (2009).

The Seven Pillars of Statistical Wisdom

6 p.m., Seminary Co-Op, 5751 South Woodlawn Avenue

Stephen M. Stigler, Ernest DeWitt Burton Distinguished Service Professor in the Department of Statistics, will discuss his new book, The Seven Pillars of Statistical Wisdom. The talk will explore the seven ideas—aggregation, information measurement, likelihood, intercomparison, regression, experimental design, and residual—that distinguish statistics as a discipline from mathematics and computer science.

The Pursuit of Happiness: Transgender Equality in 2016

6–7:15 p.m., Institute of Politics, 5707 South Woodlawn Avenue

Mara Keisling, the founding Executive Director of the National Center for Transgender Equality, will speak about discrimination and violence toward transgender people, as well as the role of political activism in creating change. Keisling is a prominent advocate for transgender equality in Washington, DC and has appeared on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News. RSVP on Eventbrite.

Tuesday 3/8:

Intercollegiate Finance Journal Launch

5:30–6:30 p.m., McCormick Tribune Lounge, Reynolds Club, 5706 South University Avenue

The Intercollegiate Finance Journal will be celebrating the release of their Winter 2016 issue with a Christmas-themed party and free food. The cover story for the Winter Issue is entitled: “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year: Christmas’s Impact on the Economy.”

Shaka Senghor: Writing My Wrongs

Shaka Senghor, a prominent advocate for criminal justice reform, will speak about his book, Writing My Wrongs: Life, Death and Redemption in an American Prison, which discusses the time he served in prison for second-degree murder. Senghor is now a lecturer at the University of Michigan and the Director of Strategy and Innovation at #cut50, a bipartisan effort to reduce the U.S. prison population by half by 2025.

How Can the Fed Help Fix the Economy?

6–7:30 p.m., Room 2014 of the Charles M. Harper Center (Booth School of Business), 5807 S. Woodlawn Ave.

Narayana Kocherlakota, Ph.D. ’87 (Economics), will discuss how his experience as president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minnesota from 2009 to 2015 led him to revise his views on best use of monetary policy in the recovery from the recession. In a conversation with Becker Friedman Institute Director Lars Peter Hansen, Kocherlakota will also explore the Fed’s new and changing role in an uncertain economy. Doors will open at 6 for registration and a reception and the speaking program will begin at 6:30.

Hyde Park Village Annual Meeting

7–8:30 p.m., Augustana Lutheran Church, 5500 South Woodlawn Avenue

The national village movement tries to pool resources to keep people in their homes as they age. Hyde Park’s community of active (and often activist) seniors started providing services to the Chicago Hyde Park Village in 2014. This meeting will report on the organization’s first full year of operation.

Wednesday 3/9:

Geoffrey Stone: The Battle Over Free Speech on College Campuses

6–7:15 p.m., International House Assembly Hall, 1414 East 59th Street

Following last month’s incident with Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez and a group of protesters who shut down the event, the Institute of Politics has organized a panel discussion on the future of First Amendment rights amid the drive to create safe spaces on campuses across the nation. Panelists include The Atlantic fellow Adrienne Green, Salon and New Republic contributor and Colby College English professor Aaron Hanlon, president and CEO of Freedom for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) Greg Lukianoff, and Geoffrey Stone, UChicago Law professor and chair of UChicago’s committee on freedom of expression.

John D’Agata: The Making of the American Essay

6 p.m., 57th Street Books, 1301 East 57th Street

John D’Agata has been building up to his new book, The Making of the American Essay, for nearly 20 years. His previous two books looked at the ancient predecessors and contemporary interpretations of the form. At this event, he will discuss his new book and the essay in general.

Body Project Workshop

6–7:30 p.m., Cobb Hall Room 430

As part of the International Women’s Day Celebration, join the UChicago Body Project group for an inclusive and productive conversation about how to confront and challenge the ideal standards of beauty. Dinner from the Nile will be served.

Hollaback Night

10 p.m.–12 a.m., Reynolds Club, 5706 South University Avenue

Come dressed for the nineties or the aughts and enjoy a costume contest, snacks and a care package drawing. With this nineties-themed pre-finals event, Uncommon Nights presents the unsettling thesis that the childhood of the typical undergraduate is now a discrete and identifiable part of the past.

Thursday 3/10:

Diplomatic Encounters: Consul General of Israel to the Midwest

3–4:15 p.m, Institute of Politics, 5707 South Woodlawn Avenue

Roey Gilad, the consul general of Israel to the Midwest, will be at the IOP discussing Israel, the Middle East, and American foreign policy in the presidential election season. In his 26-year tenure with the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Gilad has served as Second Secretary in Kenya, Media Counsellor in The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, and head of the Political Affairs Department in the United Kingdom.

Amina Gautier: The Loss of All Lost Things

6 p.m., Seminary Co-Op Bookstore, 5751 South Woodlawn Avenue

Amina Gautier will speak about her short story collection, The Loss of All Lost Things, which won the Elixir Press 2014 Fiction Award. Gautier, who teaches in the MFA program at the University of Miami, has written two other award-winning short story collections. Gautier will be in conversation with Eric May, author of the novel Bedrock Faith and an associate professor of fiction at Columbia College Chicago.

Fire Escape Winter Premiere

7 p.m., Max Palevsky Cinema, Ida Noyes Hall, 1212 East 59th Street

Fire Escape Films is ready to present its exceptionally large winter quarter batch of nine student-created films. Come to see what they have wrought, and enjoy light refreshments.

CNN GOP Debate Watch Party

7:30 p.m., Harris Student Lounge at the Chicago Harris School, 1155 East 60th Street

The Institute of Politics, the Harris School of Public Policy, and the Center for Policy Entrepreneurship are hosting the final debate watch party of the quarter. The CNN Republican debate will be broadcasted live and will be accompanied by refreshments.

UT/TAPS present: The Seagull

7:30 p.m., Logan Center, Theater West, 915 East 60th Street. $6 at tickets.uchicago.edu, $8 at the door. Additional performances are on Friday, March 11 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, March 12 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

University Theater (UT) presents The Seagull, an 1895 play by Russian playwright Anton Chekhov. Considered one of the greatest theatrical works in all of Russia, The Seagull is the story of an extended peasant family living in Russia, and their struggles with themselves and with each other in their everyday lives. Please note: this UT/TAPS production contains a staged suicide.

Comfort Food for Finals

9–10 p.m., McCormick-Tribune Lounge, Reynolds Club, 5706 South University Avenue

The Lutheran Campus Ministry of UChicago, a ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, is hosting a pre-finals study break with mac ’n’ cheese and assorted cookies.

Friday 3/11:

A Night with Filmmaker Tom Palazzo

7 p.m., Logan Center Screening Room, 915 East 60th Street

John Palazzo makes films that are unsettling and otherworldly while remaining rooted in the experience of Chicago neighborhoods. Attendees will watch Palazzo’s films and then discuss them with the filmmaker.

Hollywood Comes to the Du

7 p.m.,DuSable Museum, 740 East 56th Place. $25; $20 for students.

Not two weeks after the Oscars briefly turned America’s attention to diversity in Hollywood, the DuSable is hosting a panel of black Hollywood figures to get their take on the situation. This event is the first in a series of events titled “Race and the Media.”

Gilbert and Sullivan’s Princess Ida

7:30 p.m., Mandel Hall, 5706 South University Avenue. $25; $5 for students.

This well-regarded Gilbert and Sullivan adaptation tells the story of a princess who rejects a diplomatic marriage for her career, and a prince’s attempt to bring her around. This adaptation adjusts the story to preserve Ida’s independence and conform to modern gender roles.

Hyde Park Community Players: Jar the Floor

8 p.m., University Church, 5655 South University Avenue. $12 at the door; $10 in advance at hydeparkcommunityplayers.org. Plays through Sunday.

This play explores family conflict among four generations of black mothers and daughters as they gather for the ninetieth birthday of the family’s matriarch. Show up to watch the Hyde Park Community Players’ interpretation of playwright Cheryl L. West’s wrenching family drama.