South Siders Sweep Trio of Weekend Games

The baseball team has come out strong in April, winning four of their last five including a three-game win streak that began this past weekend against Robert Morris-Peoria and Lawrence. They will look to continue their hot streak this Tuesday against Lewis..

This past weekend, the Maroons battled Lawrence University at home on J. Kyle Anderson Field and earned its ninth win of the season. The squad recorded a 3–1 victory against Lawrence, which brought the team to a winning record of 9–8.

Pitching certainly made the difference in the game. On the Chicago side, fourth-year Lucas Friss pitched a complete game, recording four strikeouts, two walks, six hits, and allowing just one run. As for Lawrence, second-year Kyle Duex also pitched a full game, allowing seven hits and three runs (one earned) with just two strikeouts.

On the offensive side of the plate, the game was rather stagnant until the start of the fifth inning, when Lawrence pulled ahead on a single by second-year Anthony Ortiz, which drove in the number seven batter in the line up, second-year Carl Olsen. Lawrence would leave two runners on base to end the inning, and Chicago quickly bounced back, scoring a run in the bottom of the fifth. With the bases loaded, third-year Thomas Prescott hit one to right field, which drove in a run by first-year Ian Bohn.

In the bottom of the sixth inning, the South Siders struck again with a two RBI triple sliced to right center field by the designated hitter, third-year Nicholas Toomey. Toomey was two-for-four on the day, leading his team in hits and RBI. After the go ahead runs in the sixth, Chicago did not look back. Friss ended the game to boost his record to 3–2 on the season. The squad was scheduled to play a doubleheader against Lawrence, but unfortunately due to rainy conditions the second game was cancelled.

The Maroons also faced off against Robert Morris (Peoria) in a double header the day before. The squad was able to take down the opposing team in both outings, dispatching Robert Morris in two low scoring games. The final outcomes were 2–1 and 1–0, respectively. First-year Joe Liberman was able to get one of the wins and shift his pitching record to 2–1.

All three wins mean that the South Siders have both started a win-streak, and have been extremely hot in the month of April. The team has won four of their last five games and will look to continue the trend throughout the month and potentially into the post-season.

This week, the UChicago baseball team will travel to Lewis University in Romeoville, IL on Tuesday, April 12 and then travel to Wash U for a tripleheader on April 15 and 16. The game against Lewis University Flyers was added to the schedule late, which provides the South Siders with a warm game before rival Wash U. The Flyers are currently 17–10, promising some tough competition on Tuesday night.

As for this upcoming weekend, the South Siders are excited to play Wash U, which should be one of their biggest games this season. “We prepare our best for all our games, but there’s definitely a sense of urgency and energy throughout the team before we play at Wash U,” second-year Robby Fuentes said.

The Maroons have brought themselves to a winning record and look to thrash the 20–11 Wash U Bears this weekend.