On and Around Campus April 29 – May 5

Friday, April 29

Diplomatic Encounters: His Excellency Gerard Araud, Ambassador of France to the United States 

9:30–10:45 a.m., Ida Noyes Hall East Lounge. Register online.

His Excellency Gerard Araud, Ambassador of France to the United States, will speak about the challenges of maintaining the European Union in an era filled with terrorism, nationalism, and financial crisis. The event is co-sponsored by the Institute of Politics and the France Chicago Center.

A Conference in Celebration of the Career of Thomas Holt

10 a.m.–6 p.m. Regenstein Library, Room 122. Also April 30. Free and open to the public.

This two-day conference on African-American culture throughout history is being held to honor Chicago historian Thomas Holt, James Westfall Thompson Professor of American and African- American History. The conference features a number of lectures and panels, as well as remarks from Holt himself.

Pearls of the Czech New Wave

4 p.m., Logan Center Screening Room 201

The event celebrates the 50th anniversary of the release of Pearls of the Deep, a five-segment anthology film that became the manifesto for a generation of Czech filmmakers known as the Czech New Wave. The event features a roundtable discussion exploring the influence of the anthology and the historical context behind the Czech New Wave. The discussion will be followed by a screening of Pearls of the Deep and the Chicago premiere of A Boring Afternoon, a film by Czech filmmaker Ivan Passer, who will also be in attendance at the event.

Saturday, April 30

Luke Fowler Films

7–9 p.m., Logan Center for the Arts, Screening Room 201

Filmmaker and musician Luke Fowler will screen and discuss several of his earlier films along with Neubauer Collegium curator Jacob Proctor and musicologist and gallerist John Corbett. The Neubauer Collegium is also showing an exhibition of new documentary film work by Fowler, which will run from April 29 through July 1.

Quire & Place V: Kallembach St. John Passion

7:30 p.m., Rockefeller Chapel, $20 (free to students with UCID)

The Rockefeller Chapel Choir and Avalon Quartet present a concert to celebrate the CD release of choir director John Kallembach’s work, “St. John Passion.” The piece was commissioned for the Chapel and first premiered in 2014.

Monday, May 2

Ban the Box, Criminal Records, and Statistical Discrimination: A Field Experiment

12–1:30 p.m., Saieh Hall for Economics, Room 112. Register online.

Amanda Agan, an associate research scholar in economics and labor relations and lecturer in economics at Princeton University, will be discussing “Ban-the-Box” (BTB) policies, which prevent employers from asking about criminal records on job application forms and have recently been implemented by several cities and states. Proponents of the policies often argue that they will reduce unemployment among black men, who are disproportionately likely to have criminal records, but others argue that employers will discriminate based on different characteristics instead. Agan will discuss BTB policies as well as the wider role of race and criminal records in hiring practices.

Campbell McGrath – “XX: Poems for the Twentieth Century” – Srikanth Reddy

6 p.m., Seminary Co-Op Bookstore, 5751 South Woodlawn Avenue

Award-winning poet Campbell McGrath will read from his new collection of 100 poems, which draw on a variety of styles and are written in the voices of 20th-century historical figures such as Pablo Picasso, Mao Zedong, and Bob Dylan. McGrath has received a MacArthur “Genius Grant” and a Guggenheim Fellowship and has been published in prominent publications such as The New York Times, the Paris Review, and The New Yorker. He will be in conversation with Srikanth Reddy, the author of two books of poetry and an associate professor of creative writing at UChicago.

No Más Bebés Screening and Discussion

6 p.m., International House Assembly Hall

No Mas Bebés is a documentary about immigrant mothers who underwent forced sterilization and sued their Los Angeles county doctors. This screening, sponsored by M.E.Ch.A, will be followed by a Q&A with the producer of the film and one of the plaintiffs in the case featured in the film.

Women in Charge: How Politics is Being Transformed

6–7:15 p.m., Quadrangle Club. Register online.

Jay Newton-Small is the Washington correspondent for TIME Magazine and author of BROAD INFLUENCE: How Women Are Changing the Way America Works. Small will explore how 20–30 percent of female representation in any institution functions as a tipping point for fundamentally altering the way the organization operates and the many implications this phenomenon has for the future of American politics.

Tuesday, May 3

David Shneer – “ ‘Grief’: The History of the World’s First Holocaust Liberation Photograph and the Man Who Made It”

4:30–6 p.m., Rosenwald Hall Room 015

David Shneer, Louis P. Singer Chair in Jewish History at the University of Colorado Boulder, will discuss the legacy of “Grief,” a photograph of a Nazi massacre of Jews in Crimea taken by Soviet photographer Dmitrii Baltermants. The lecture is funded by the Jean and Harold Gossett Lectureship in Memory of Holocaust Victims Martha and Paul Feivel Korngold.

Corporate Governance in an Era of Shareholder Activism

4:30–7 p.m., Harper Center Room 104, 5708 South Woodlawn Avenue. Register online.

In this discussion moderated by Jeff Gramm, author of Dear Chairman: Boardroom Battles and the Rise of Shareholder Activism, panelists will discuss what the influence of shareholder activism means for the directors of corporations. The panelists are Chair of the Karla Scherer Foundation Karla Scherer, Vice Chair of ValueEdge Advisors Nell Minow, and Professor of Finance at the Kellogg School of Management Paola Sapienza.

Poetry Reading by Salgado Maranhão

5 p.m., Classics Building, Room 021

Acclaimed Brazilian poet Salgado Maranhão and his translator, Alexis Levitin, will read selections from Maranhão’s most recently translated book, Tiger Fur, and from the previous translation, Blood of the Sun. Maranhão has won every major literary award in Brazil, including honors from the Union of Brazilian Writers, the Brazilian PEN Club, and the Brazilian Academy of Letters, while Levitin has been awarded three Fulbright grants and two National Endowment for the Arts Translation Fellowships.

Thirteen Festivals: A Ritual Year in Bengal with Ralph Nicholas

5:30–8:30 p.m., International House Assembly Hall. Register online.

Ralph Nicholas, William Rainey Harper Professor Emeritus at the University of Chicago and former President of the American Institute of Indian Studies, will discuss his work on religious performances and rituals in West Bengal. A light Indian meal will be served.

Sherry Poet Lecture by Fred Moten

6 p.m., Logan Center Seminar Terrace 801

Fred Moten, an English professor at the University of California Riverside and the author of several books of poetry and criticism, will present the annual Pearl Andelson Sherry Memorial Poetry Reading and Lecture. Moten has been recognized as one of ten “New American Poets” by the Poetry Society of America and was the Whitney J. Oates Fellow in the Humanities Council and the Center for African American Studies at Princeton University in 2012. He has two forthcoming books, a poetry collection called The Service Porch and a collection of essays called to consent not to be a single being.

FRESH AYERS: Bill Ayers on “Teaching with Conscience in an Imperfect World: An Invitation”

6 p.m., 57th Street Books, 1301 East 57th Street

Bill Ayers, formerly the Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago and founder of both the Small Schools Workshop and the Center for Youth and Society, will discuss his book Teaching with Conscience in an Imperfect World. The book draws from Ayers’s personal experiences and calls for changes to improve public education. Ayers has written several books on education and published articles in the Harvard Educational Review, The Nation, and The New York Times. 

Sayed Kashua – “Native: Dispatches from an Israeli-Palestinian Life” – Na’ama Rokem

Sayed Kashua, an Arab-Israeli author and satirical columnist, will be discussing his new book Native: Dispatches from an Israeli-Palestinian Life with Associate Professor of Hebrew and Comparative Literature Na’ama Rokem. Native is a collection of Kashua’s popular essays exploring the Palestinian story in modern Israel, commenting on everything from navigating airport security to the tenderness and chaos of family life.

FIRE Debate: Should the Second Amendment be Amended?

6–7:15 p.m., Ida Noyes Hall Third Floor Theater. Register online.

Professor Zachary Elkins of the University of Texas and attorney Clark Neily of the Institute for Justice will debate whether the Second Amendment should be changed. Elkins will argue for the resolution, and Neily will argue against it.

Wednesday, May 4

Christa Blümlinger, “A Return to ‘Techniques of the Body:’ Zoe Beloff’s Reinventions”

4:30 p.m., Center for Study of Gender and Sexuality Community Room 105, 5733 South University Avenue

Professor Christa Blümlinger of University Vincennes-Saint-Denis will lecture on the artistic implications of Zoe Beloff’s 2011 installation, “The Infernal Dream of Mutt and Jeff”. In particular, she will focus on the use of animation as “an act of the cinema machine” and “as an instrument of psychosocial control.”

Survival of the Nimblest: Arts Organizations, Artists, and Disruption

5:30 p.m., Center for Innovation Exchange Theater, 1452 East 53rd Street. Register online.

Elizabeth Scott, Chief Media and Digital Officer at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts and VP of Programming and Business Affairs at Major League Baseball, will be discussing how today’s fast-paced “attention economy” is affecting cultural organizations.

Who Created Donald Trump? A Conversation with Frank Bruni of the New York Times

6–7:15 p.m., International House Assembly Hall. Register online.

New York Times Op-Ed columnist Frank Bruni will examine the confusion of the 2016 primary election, the political phenomenon of Donald Trump, and the relationship between the media and the American electorate. The event is co-sponsored by the Institute of Politics and the International House Global Voices Program.

Thursday, May 5

The Materiality of Ideas: Making Art, Making Meaning in the Pre-Columbian and Colonial Worlds

4:30–5:30 p.m. Smart Museum of Art, 5500 South Greenwood Avenue

Tom Cummins, Dumbarton Oaks Professor of the History of Pre-Columbian and Colonial Art and Chairman of the Department of the History of Art and Architecture at Harvard University, will be giving a lecture on the art of pre-Colombian and Colonial societies.

Blurbs were written by Eileen Li, Katie Akin, Peyton Alie