Pared Down Contingent of O-Leaders Will Receive Stipends

Among other changes, College Housing will handle hiring of House O-Aides.

There will be significantly fewer Orientation Leaders and Student Directors hired by the College Programming Office (CPO) for the 2016 O-Week, but they will receive a stipend, among other changes to the O-Week recruiting process.

Matthew Hendricks, the senior associate director of college programming, revealed the number of positions available for this year’s orientation team. Part of this year’s team will be significantly smaller than in past years, consisting of six Student Directors and 36–40 Orientation Leaders, which is down from 15 Student Directors and 65 Orientation Leaders in the past. However, they will be increasing the number of registration Orientation Aides from 32 to 40 in order to provide more assistance to academic advisors.

In the past, Orientation Leaders and Student Directors only worked during O-Week, but they will now work during pre-O-Week as well. During O-Week, Orientation Leaders will assist with the Chicago Urban Experience (CUE) program, the International Pre-Orientation Program (IPO), and Logistics. Student Directors will provide oversight for the Orientation Leaders during these programs.

Previously the only paid position was that of Student Director. Now Orientation Leaders will also receive a stipend in part due to the additional week of service they must now complete. 

Hendricks explained that the CPO has always been in charge of O-Week programming and staff since the office’s inception. However, House Orientation Aides will now be recruited, selected, and trained by College Housing, not the CPO.

Marielle Sainvilus, the director of public affairs for communications, confirmed with College Housing that there are no changes to this position.

“House O-Aides will continue to support the new students’ welcome and introduction into the house communities in all the ways that they did previously. All that has changed is the administration [and] oversight of the hiring process,” Sainvilus said.