the Sketch

Arts, briefly.
+
Katie Akin

Chicago Latino Film Festival (April 8–21)

Now in its 32nd year, the Chicago Latino Film Festival (CLFF) will show over 100 films from Latin America, Spain, Portugal, and the U.S. over the course of two weeks in April. The CLFF aims to showcase the diversity of themes within Latino filmmaking. Most of the films will be shown at AMC River East; however, there are nine other locations, including the theater at UIC. The CLFF is presented by the International Latino Cultural Center of Chicago, a pan-Latino nonprofit arts organization.

Individual screenings are $10 with a student ID, and a film passport ($110) buys admission to 12 screenings. Film passports can be purchased at AMC River East (322 East Illinois), at ChicagoLatinoFilmFestival.org, on the CLFF Facebook page, or at the CLFF Box Office. The festival runs from April 8 to April 21. Find the lineup at http://chicagolatinofilmfestival.org/films.

This Chicago Life

The University Community Service Center’s Chicago Studies will be collaborating with the Logan Center Cabaret Series to present “This Chicago Life,” a live magazine performance in the Logan Center’s Performance Penthouse. Performers will prepare and present a short personal piece that experiments with elements of storytelling. Come snack on free food while experiencing different narratives about life in Chicago in a live magazine format.

Friday, April 8, Performance Penthouse, Logan Center, 8 p.m., admission is free and open to the public.

Space: Speculation & Exploration

This Saturday, take a moment to explore the final frontier at the Chicago Society’s “Space: Speculation and Exploration.” Not only will this event feature a number of notable speakers in the field of astronomy and astrophysics (including some speakers from NASA), but it will also include a panel on the business and politics of space. The fiction panel—a team of best-selling authors and professors of English and literature from around the country—will discuss the topic of space in works of science fiction. Walking to I-House for this event is one small step for you, and one giant leap for your inner space lover.

Saturday, April 9, International House, 9 a.m.–5:30 p.m., the conference is free and open to the public and includes breakfast and lunch.

CYSO’s Encore Chamber Orchestra

The Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra will perform its spring concert this Saturday afternoon at Logan. Music director Allen Tinkham will lead the symphony through Brahm’s Symphony No. 3 and Mendelssohn’s “The Hebrides,” (Op. 28).

Saturday, April 9, Performance Hall, Logan Center, 3 p.m., admission is free and open to the public.

Ser Latino: OLAS Cultural Show

This Saturday night, the Organization of Latin American Students (OLAS) will host its fifth annual cultural show. Titled “Ser Latino” (to be Latino), the show will explore how one interacts with the Latino identity through cultural expression, as well as the shifting iterations within that identity. The event will begin with a smorgasbord of food vendors from across the city. As you munch on BienMeSabe, Manolo’s Tamales, Taqueria Los Comales, El Ñandu, and Cassava, you can peruse a showcase of artworks by students and Chicago artists before settling down for the feature performance: dance, poetry, guitar, videos, and more. In the spirit of the night, the first 200 ticket-buyers might even score an OLAS shot glass.

Saturday, April 6, Reynolds Club, Fair 6:30 p.m., Performance 8 p.m., tickets $5 via Venmo or at the door.

Temporary Public Art Walks with Nazafarin Lotfi

Nazafarin Lotfi, the 2015/16 Arts + Public Life and Center for the Study of Race, Politics, and Culture Artist-in-Residence, will be leading a temporary public art walk to admire and discuss “the ambiguities and uncertainties of looking.” Interested participants should gather at the Arts Incubator in Washington Park for the start of the tour.

Saturday, April 10, Washington Park, 10 a.m., admission is free and open to the public.

Runway to Reality

Prom: an iconic coming-of-age moment. This Sunday at the Arts Incubator, explore prom through the lenses of photography and garment design at the winning submission for Arts + Public Life’s 2016 Exhibition Open Call. Photographer Maurene Cooper and seamstress Suzette Opara collaborated on this exhibit to assess the cultural significance of prom on the South Side, bringing to life its joy and significance.

Sunday, April 10, Arts Incubator of Washington Park, 12 p.m., admission is free and open to the public.

UChicago Night at the Art Institute

This is the last opportunity of the academic year for UChicago students, faculty, and staff to enjoy a free night at the Art Institute. This evening will feature a special performance by Chicago actors reenacting the life of van Gogh. Enjoy a number of special exhibit tours, including Byzantine Art and a Collection Highlight Tour throughout the museum. Mark your calendar now to ensure you can van Gogh!

Thursday, April 14, Art Institute of Chicago, 5–8 p.m., free with UCID. Shuttles leaving Reynolds Club at 4:30 p.m. and 5 p.m.