On and Around Campus: Week of 5/13 – 5/19

A screening of Un Lac, a talk with transgender author Chase Joynt, and a panel of activists from the 1960s are among other events on this week’s calendar.

Friday, May 13

Un lac with Director Philippe Grandrieux

9 a.m., Logan Center Screening Room 201, Free

Philippe Grandrieux, who works in film, television, documentary, and museum installation will attend the Film Studies Center screening of Un lac. The film tells the story of a woodcutter and his sister whose isolated worlds are interrupted by the arrival of a stranger.

Saturday, May 14

Master of Maps (Children’s Program)

10:30 a.m., 57th Street Books, Free

Husband and wife, author and illustrator, Aleksandra Mizielinska and Daniel Mizielinski wrote the Maps book series with illustrated maps from all over the world. They will come to 57th Street Books this weekend to lead a morning of map-making activities and cultural exploration at an event open to the public.

Jacob T. Levy: “Rationalism, Pluralism, and Freedom” with Douglas Baird

2:30 p.m., the Seminary Co-op Bookstore, Free

Tomlinson professor of political theory Jacob T. Levy is joined in conversation by former Law School Dean Douglas Baird regarding Levy’s 2014 book Rationalism, Pluralism, Freedom. Levy’s book studies the tension in how intermediate groups, ethnocultural groups, churches, universities, and more, can both protect and threaten individual liberties.

Sunday, May 15

Melissa Burch: “My Journey Through War and Peace”

3 p.m., 57th Street Books, RSVP here, Free

War correspondent Melissa Burch will discuss her book My Journey Through War and Peace at 57th Street Books. The book takes the reader through her time in the Soviet Union, Afghanistan, and the Hindu Kush, among others, and explains why she sought such circumstances for her work.

Monday, May 16

Chase Joynt: “You Only Live Twice: Sex, Death, and Transition”

4:30–6 p.m., Seminary Co-op, Free

Two artists will discuss a pivotal experience that they feel divides their life into a distinct “before” and “after”. Transgender author Chase Joynt will discuss his transition from female to male, and movie artist Mike Hoolboom will talk about his near-death experience with AIDS in the ’90s. These individuals come together to launch Joynt’s new book, which was co-authored by Hoolboom, You Only Live Twice: Sex, Death, and Transition.

A Conversation with Theresa Mah (Ph.D. ’99) on Her Public Service Career

6–7:15 p.m., Institute of Politics, Register here, Free

Sit down with Theresa Mah at the Institute of Politics as part of its Leaders of Color initiative. The Democratic Nominee for 2nd District State Representative will take office in January as the first Asian American in the Illinois general assembly. Mah will discuss her path to public service.

The Real Adam Smith

5:30 p.m. Reception, 6:30 p.m. Screening, International House Assembly Hall, Free

Swedish author and Cato Senior Fellow Johan Norberg and Director Jim Taylor will discuss their documentary The Real Adam Smith as part of the International House lecture series. The film, which will be screened after the talk, explores Smith’s life and works and how his concepts apply to today’s economy.

Tuesday, May 17

Brian Booker: Are You Here for What I’m Here For? with Jason Grunebaum

6 p.m., Seminary Co-op, RSVP (Facebook event), Free

Are You Here for What I’m Here For?, Brian Booker’s debut collection of short stories, follows troubled characters as they battle rare illnesses, impending natural disasters, and more. Booker holds a MFA from the Iowa Writers’ Workshop and currently teaches creative writing at the University of Chicago. He will be joined in conversation by Jason Grunebaum, a writer and translator who teaches Hindi at the University.

Wednesday, May 18

Jonathan Cole: Toward A More Perfect University

1 p.m., Seminary Co-op, RSVP here, Free

Former Columbia University Provost and professor Jonathan Cole examines the ideal evolution of the American University in decades to come. His will discuss his book, which questions the role of admissions practices, sports, research and more, with John Boyer.

On Mavis Gallant’s A Fairly Good Time with Peter Orner and Audrey Petty

6 p.m., 57th Street Books, RSVP here, Free

Authors Peter Orner and Audrey Petty will discuss two recently reissued novels by writer Mavis Gallant. A Fairly Good Time tells the story of a Canadian widower living in Paris whose life is once again upset by the departure of her new husband, and Green Water, Green Sky recounts a young American woman’s desperate attempt to escape her divorcée mother’s glamorous French lifestyle.

Chicago Style Presents Transform Illinois with Mary Sue Barrett

7–8 p.m., Institute of Politics, Register here, Free

Mary Sue Barrett of Transform Illinois, which advocates for efficiency in local government, will come to the Institute of Politics to discuss Illinois’ fiscal crisis and the future of its government.

Argonne OutLoud: The End of Water as We Know It

6–7:30 p.m., International House, Advanced registration is “requested”, Free

Argonne scientist Seth Darling will be speaking about the current state of water technology and management, and how his team is working to make water usage in agriculture more efficient. It is predicted that the world’s demand for water will rise 55 percent in the next 35 years, so this work reflects what could be a pivotal change in how the world views and uses water.

Thursday, May 19

Óscar Martínez on A History of Violence and Edu Ponces on En el camino

6 p.m., Seminary Co-op, Register here, Free

To write his book A History of Violence, Oscar Martínez went undercover to interact with drug-dealers, local police, and gangs. He explored Mexican brothels, Salvadoran Slums, and small Guatemalan villages in one of the most violent regions in the world. Martínez and accompanying photojournalist Edu Ponces will discuss their work on the book.

Marching on the City of Big Shoulders: Stories from the Chicago Freedom Movement

6–7:30 p.m., Register here, Free

A panel of activists from the 1960s will be speaking about the political climate of Chicago when Martin Luther King Jr. first moved here to aid the civil rights movement. While working to obtain voting rights for all citizens, King also helped to launch a campaign to end the slums called the “Chicago Freedom Movement” and led open housing marches. The panelists will discuss the movement and its legacy today, 50 years later. The event will also include an exhibit of color photographs from King’s time in Chicago.

Dealing with Heritage: New Policy Approaches

1:15–5 p.m., Continues on Friday from 8:30–11:30 a.m., Neubauer Collegium for Culture and Society, Free

The “Dealing with Heritage” Conference, co-sponsored by the Neubauer Collegium for Culture and Society and the Department of Art History, seeks to explore policy approaches to protect archeological antiquities. The conference will feature a keynote address by Executive Director of the New Cities Foundation Maxwell L. Anderson, entitled “Transparency: A Path to Illicit Trade”. In the address, Anderson will discuss the possibility of creating openly regulated antiquities markets and how to undercut incentives to loot illegally.

Jonardon Ganeri: “Why Philosophy Must Go Global”

Noon, Swift Hall Common Room, Free

Professor of philosophy Jonardon Ganeri of NYU will be discussing the challenge that modern philosophy faces in an increasingly interconnected world. He will be discussing the importance of both listening to and incorporating philosophical perspectives from people around the globe, and of being willing to discuss traditionally Anglocentric policies through a multicultural lens.