the Sketch

Arts, briefly.

UT/TAPS & Dean’s Men Present Romeo & Juliet

Two households, both alike in industry,/ In smoggy Pittsburgh, where the Dean’s Men lay their scene…. Directed by Mariel Shlomchik, UT/TAPS’s & Dean’s Men’s Romeo and Juliet gives the story of the famous star-cross’d lovers a modern twist. Come to Cobb Quad to watch how the “death-mark’d love” of two heirs of rival industrial powerhouses plays out as they find their romance thwarted by family feuds, violence, and greed.

Wednesday, May 25–Friday, May 27, 7:30 p.m. Cobb Quad (Rain Location: Logan 501). Free.

THE QUEEN HAS ARRIVED

Bey is coming, Bey is coming! That’s right folks, Beyonce is gracing Soldier Field with her ethereal presence. No other artist could drop a surprise single a day before the Super Bowl and still kill it. But the Queen does what the Queen wants. Get in the Beyhive.

Friday, May 27, Saturday, May 28, 6 p.m. Soldier Field. Good luck getting tickets.

Le Vorris & Vox presents: Yuusha

Yuusha is an original anime-inspired comedy that traces the journey of a hero who, cursed by a demon lord, must defeat him with the help of a warrior, a rogue, and a mage. Performed by Le Vorris & Vox, Yuusha features juggling, aerial silks, poi, acrobatics, lyra, trapeze, and more circus arts.   

Friday, May 27, Saturday, May 28. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., show begins at 8 p.m. Logan 701. Tickets are $5 at the door.

Salsa, Mambo, Bachata & More at the Midway Plaisance Park

Looking for an excuse to dance outdoors now that it’s spring? UChicago’s Ballroom and Latin Dance Association, along with non-campus organizations, including El Caobo Internacional, will be hosting an outdoor dance night this Saturday on the Midway Plaisance Park. Trade ice skates for dance shoes as you salsa, bachata, and cha-cha your finals stress away. Dance lessons will be held from 5–6:30 p.m., followed from performances until 7 p.m. and open dancing until 9 p.m.

Saturday, May 28, 5–9 p.m. Midway Plaisance Park. Free admission.

University Choral Union Concert

Get a taste of UChicago’s vast vocal talent at this end-of-year vocal showcase. The University Chorus, Motet Choir, and Women’s Ensemble are teaming up for a final vocal concert of the 2015–16 school year in the lovely scenery and acoustics of Rockefeller Chapel.

Saturday, May 28, 7:30 p.m. Rockefeller Chapel. Free. 

UT/TAPS presents West Side Story

UT/TAPS is presenting this classic American musical as a respite from the horrors of 10th week. Featuring iconic music by Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim, West Side Story is a retelling of Romeo and Juliet set on New York City’s Upper West Side in the 1950s. Come on, you go to UChicago; you’ve definitely read Romeo and Juliet. Treat yoself to a fun Shakespeare musical adaptation. It would be a tragedy if you didn’t.

Free preview on Thursday, June 2, 7:30 p.m. Performances are Friday, June 3, 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, June 4 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $6 in advance and $8 at the door. Logan Center, Theater West.