Cemitas Puebla to Replace Packed

The Mexican sandwich shop and taqueria plans to open on 57th Street in the next couple of months.
See It Chicago
The cemita is served on sesame seed bread with Oaxacan cheese.

The Mexican sandwich shop and taqueria Cemitas Puebla will move into Packed’s old space on 57th Street, owner Tony Anteliz told the Chicago Eater.

Anteliz said that he plans to open in the next couple of months. "We are so excited to be part of such a great and diverse community and look forward to being part of the Hyde Park community for a very long time," Anteliz told the Chicago Eater.

Anteliz is hoping that his eatery’s signature specialty sandwiches will attract more business from Hyde Park residents than did Packed’s responsibly-sourced—but pricey and small-portioned—dumplings. Packed opened for business in January and closed just months later in May.

The cemita is a type of torta originating from Puebla, Mexico. It’s served on sesame seed bread with chipotle pepper, Oaxacan cheese, avocado, and a thin cut of breaded meat. A basic cemita costs $8 at Cemitas Puebla, and tacos run between $3 and $4.

Cemitas Puebla currently operates two locations: one in the West Loop and the other in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, only a mile away from the chain’s now-closed original location, where the restaurant thrived for 13 years and exploded in popularity after a feature on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

Anteliz has yet to publicize business hours for the Hyde Park location, but the West Loop and Humboldt Park locations stay open until 9 p.m. on weeknights and until 10:30 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. Cemitas Puebla takes delivery and carryout orders through its iPhone app.