On and Around Campus: January 13 — January 16

Resisting Trump, MLK Day of Service, and the Butterfly Lovers.

Friday, January 13

Memorial Program for Professor Richard L. Chambers

Saieh Hall, 4:30–5:30 p.m.

Richard L. Chambers helped found the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Chicago and ran the center from 1979 to 1985. Linda Darling—like Chambers, a scholar of Turkey and the Ottoman Empire—will deliver a lecture titled “Richard L. Chambers: A Life in Turkish Studies” in his memory.

Situating the Kashmir Crisis

Stuart Hall, 3:30–5 p.m.

Chicago Stands with the Indian Academy will host a discussion panel about the long-term military tension between India and Pakistan around Kashmir. Panelists leading the talk will be UChicago political science professor Paul Staniland and DePauw University professor Mona Bhan.

The Path to Peace for Colombia: What’s Next

Saieh Hall 21, 9 a.m.–12 p.m.

If it holds, Colombia’s peace deal with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia guerrilla group will represent the end of one of the last hot conflicts of the Cold War. At this two-panel conference, people familiar with the deal will consider its future.

Resisting Trump: Where Do We Go From Here

Kent Hall, 4–6 p.m.

Anti-Trump forces on campus gather as his presidency approaches. During the first hour, representatives of different activist groups will present their approaches to the questions posed by a Trump presidency; during the second hour, attendees will give their own thoughts and concerns.

Saturday, January 14

MLK Day of Service

University Community Service Center, 8:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.

To honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. UCSC will offer opportunities for students to volunteer for more than a dozen community service organizations. Luncheon will take place at the Cloister Club and professor Charles M. Payne will deliver a keynote address.

South Side Weekly Winter Open House

The Experimental Station, 2–4 p.m.

The South Side Weekly welcomes new writers, reporters, designers, illustrators, photographers, and more to become involved with the publication. Potential contributors from across the city are encouraged to attend.

CUSA Show

Mandel Hall, dinner, 6 p.m.; show, 7–9:30 p.m.

Chinese Undergraduate Student Association (CUSA) will present a play in which ancient Chinese legend, the Butterfly Lovers, is transformed into a story of time travel. Dinner will be provided in Hutchinson Commons at 6 p.m. and doors open at Mandel Hall at 7 p.m.

Emancipation Proclamation Pageant at the Unitarian Church

First Unitarian Church, 7­–8:30 p.m.

The Unitarian Church’s Racial Justice Task Force will be holding an Emancipation Proclamation Pageant to celebrate the 154th anniversary of the signing of the proclamation and the anniversaries of the 14th and 15th amendments, which gave male former slaves citizenship and the right to vote. The pageant is three acts long and explores the role which multi-racial unity played in demolishing slavery in the United States.

Sunday, January 15

Clint Smith – "Counting Descent"

Seminary Co-Op, 3–4:30 p.m.

Harvard University doctoral candidate Clint Smith will read from Counting Descent, his debut poetry collection, in which he explores the contrast between the celebration and stigma of black culture through personal stories.

Monday, January 16

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Hyde Park Art Center, 11 a.m.–5:30 p.m.

The Hyde Park Art Center will reflect on the issues from the Civil Rights Movement that are still present in America today through watching various films. The film line-up includes 13th from 11 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., Brother Outsider from 1:30 to 3 p.m., and Black Power Mixtape from 3:30 to 5:15 p.m.