On and Around Campus: January 17 – January 19

The week may have started late, but there are still plenty of things to do! From the opening of Roti on 53rd, an introduction to D&D, and campus-wide preparation and discussion of Friday’s inauguration, it looks like a busy week ahead.

Tuesday, January 17 

Christian Slavery: Religion, Race and Freedom in Protestant Missions to the Caribbean 

Common Room, Swift Hall, 4:30–5:30 p.m. 

Katherine Gerber, an assistant professor of history at the University of Minnesota, will give a public lecture on the participation of slaves in Protestant rituals in the Caribbean in the 17th and 18th centuries.  

Roti Grand Opening 

Roti, 1526 East 53rd Street, 5–8 p.m.

Hyde Park’s iteration of the casual Mediterranean chain will offer a special deal on its first day of operation: in return for a donation to the Hyde Park Art Center, guests will receive a free entree and beverage. 

Moving Off-Campus on Financial Aid 

Room 107, Kent Hall, 5:30–7 p.m. RSVP online. 

Questbridge, the Center for College Student Success, and College Aid will convene a panel of students living off-campus while on financial aid to discuss budgeting.   

Wednesday, January 18 

Career Lunch and Learn: Conservation of Ancient Art and Artifacts 

Oriental Institute Museum, 12–1 p.m. Register online and bring a valid student ID. 

Oriental Institute conservator Alison Whyte will explain her work and introduce students to the field of conservation. Pizza and drinks will be served. Co-sponsored by UChicago Careers in Journalism, Arts, and Media. 

D&D Curious 

Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality, 4:30–7:30 p.m. 

Attendees will be introduced to Dungeons and Dragons, play the game, and engage in a conversation about “what it means to imagine yourself as something else.” The event is part of the Center’s Alternate Realities and Virtual Worlds series.  

Inaugural Implications 

School of Social Service Administration, 5:30–7:30 p.m.

Faculty at the SSA presumably have a special perspective on the implications of Trumpian policies in areas including migration, health care, and child welfare. Four faculty members will address the forum and take questions.

Urban Reader Series: Fantasies of Neglect 

Seminary Co-Op Bookstore, 6–7:30 p.m. 

Pamela Robertson Wojcik’s newest book explores America’s conflicting ideas about how cities shape the children that live in them—who are meant to be simultaneously exceptionally neglected and self-sufficient. The event is part of the Urban Reader Series, presented by UChicago Urban and the Seminary Co-Op. 

America in the Trump Era: Opposition Research by the RNC 

Library, Quadrangle Club, 6:15–7:15 p.m. Registration required.  

Raj Shah, the head of research for the RNC during the most recent election will discuss the uses of opposition research. He has recently been hired as Donald Trump’s deputy director of communications and head of research. 

Thursday, January 19 

Re:action: Activism Fair 

Ida Noyes Hall, 2–5 p.m. 

People can connect with local activist organizations at this event. Part of “A Day of Resistance and Rebuilding” hosted by the Center for the Study of Race, Politics and Culture and the Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality. From 2–8 p.m., there will also be a bring-a-book, take-a-book “Radical Activism Library” at the same location. 

Talking Trump: Conversation, Context, Controversy 

Mandel Hall, 5:30–7 p.m. 

University of Chicago professors from across the social sciences will gather for conversation the day before Donald Trump takes the presidency. 

Under the Sun 

Logan Center, 7–9 p.m.

The Russian director Vitaly Mansky was allowed to film in North Korea, provided he toed the party line. As his handlers and subjects tried to stay on message, Mansky kept filming. The film will be introduced by Professor Robert Bird, who has written books on Russian filmmakers. 

Party at the Smart: Radioactive 

Smart Museum of Art, 8–10 p.m. 

As part of Uncommon Nights, the Smart’s Student Advisory Committee presents a dance party for UChicago students after-hours at the Smart Museum. The night will feature DJ sets from Rafael FM and Daniel Chavez. There will be free food, refreshments, cupcakes, and a display of neon, concrete, and glow-in-the-dark art projects.