Man Shot Last Night on South Blackstone Avenue Near 51st Street

At 12:47 a.m., police said the victim was in critical at Northwestern Hospital with multiple gunshot wounds.
Pete Grieve
CPD presence and police tape at the scene of a shooting.

Update (2:42 p.m.): Police said that the 25-year-old victim was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital at approximately 9:45 a.m. on Wednesday. Police said at 1:21 p.m. that there have been no arrests in what is now a murder investigation.

At 12:47 a.m, Chicago Police said in an e-mail that a young man was in critical condition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital after sustaining gunshot wounds to the head and shoulders on the 5100 block of South Blackstone Avenue yesterday evening around 9:00 p.m.

The victim was talking to another man and two women when the man produced a handgun and fired at the victim, police said. The victim is a black male around 20–25 years old.

Police said no one was in custody.

There was heavy Chicago Police presence on the block around midnight. A portion of the street was cordoned off with police tape. A detective was documenting the scene near at least three yellow numbered markers on the sidewalk.

An officer who had just arrived on the scene acknowledged that there was a shooting, but would not elaborate. Several neighbors reported hearing gunshots in the area on Twitter and in an e-mail group.

Just after midnight, a UCPD officer near 53rd Street and South Blackstone Avenue said that there should be an e-mail security alert distributed in a few hours. A UCPD phone operator transferred The Maroon’s request for comment about a possible security alert to spokesperson Bob Mason, who did not answer the phone. Asked whether a possible security alert would have to wait until Mason arrived at the office in the morning, the phone operator said it would.

The Northwestern Hospital emergency room said it is not able to give victim condition updates over the phone.

Area Central detectives are investigating.