Sailing Team Finishes First in Ann Arbor

The University of Chicago sailing team is having an impressive year, including a first-place finish last weekend at the Carey Price Memorial Regatta.
The sailing team poses with their trophy from the Carey Price Memorial Regatta.

The UChicago Sailing Club is on the rise. As a member of the Midwest Collegiate Sailing Association (MCSA), the sailing club competes against neighboring schools like the University of Michigan, who the Maroons beat this past weekend to win the Carey Price Memorial Regatta. The first-place win follows a series of strong results, including three top-10 finishes and a respectable 12th place finish at the MCSA Fall Conference Championships. 

In addition to strong results, the sailing club prides itself on its sense of camaraderie and inclusiveness. Being a relatively small group, relationships matter most at the sailing club. 

“Getting involved with college sailing, I didn’t know what to expect. But it’s been great to be a part of a stellar organization that is committed to working hard and getting results. This weekend’s regatta performance is just an example of that,” fourth-year captain David Millstein said.

The club meets for practice at the Columbia Yacht Club, located at 111 North Lake Shore Drive, approximately 15 minutes away from campus. The club is open to all skill levels, from beginners to experienced sailors. Beginners practice on Monday and Friday afternoons from 3:15–6:30 p.m. while experienced sailors practice on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoons from 3:15–6:30 p.m.

This year’s club has the most senior sailors ever. As a result, the club is open to new sailors and is even looking for underclassmen to fill leadership roles. The seniors’ experience and support will help the new sailors acclimatize faster. In addition, the club is also looking to buy new boats. To pay for the new equipment and other fees, the dues for the club are set at $200 for fall and $200 for spring. 

The sailing club will be back in action soon at the Hope College Regatta from Nov 4–5 before taking part in the MCSA Fall Championships at Northwestern University from Nov 11–12.