Newsletter for October 6

Head of new trauma center says violence should be thought of as a disease; HvZ cancelled; and a huge donation for Booth

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter here.

Good morning. It’s second week.

$75 million for Booth: Amy (M.B.A. ’75) and Richard Wallman (M.B.A. ’74), a couple who first met at the University’s business school, made the second largest gift in the Booth School’s history.

• The University said the money will go toward supporting “a number of initiatives, including scholarships for students in the full-time, evening, weekend and executive MBA programs” and will “allow Booth to recruit from a broader and more diverse set of students and offer expanded financial assistance.”

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Governor Bruce Rauner said Thursday that it is a “wonderful honor” that the Obama Presidential Center will be built in Chicago, according to the Tribune, and he would “love” for Illinois to partially fund the Center…he just thinks the money isn’t there.

• “If we could cut the wasteful spending and the government bureaucracy, I would love to put that money into infrastructure and expanding roads and supporting things that can grow the economy like the Obama library.”
  • This follows media reports that state lawmakers are considering approving $100 million in capital funds for the Center. This discussion is happening despite the Obama Foundation having said the Center will be funded by donors and not taxpayers. The Tribune story says that top Democrats brought up the idea Wednesday of using the $100 million toreconfigure roads near the site.  

Trauma Center head Dr. Selwyn Rogers said at a talk Wednesday that violence should be thought of as a disease. He shared a story of a 17-year-old boy who he treated for gunshot wounds twice in six weeks. 

Admissions numbers for the Class of 2021 are supposed to be released next week. The University hasn't said exactly what data will be released.

• Currently on the admissions site: “A message for students impacted by natural disasters: Our thoughts are with you – please do not stress about our deadlines during this time of crisis. We understand that your schooling may have been interrupted and with it your college application process. Do not worry, we will be accommodating. If there is any way we can assist you during the process, or if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact your regional admissions counselor. Take care and be safe!”

Grey City: In the inaugural installation of this year’s Grey City, Amelia Frank presents a photo essay, and some reflections on the form: “When I look at a photograph, it says something like, ‘Here is the way things once were.’ An especially good photograph will add, ‘And it will never quite be this way again’.”

Humans vs. Zombies cancelled: Because of an “administrative glitch,” HvZ is not running this quarter, according to a September 30 Facebook post:

• “We are incredibly sorry to tell you that we have to cancel the game that was planned to start this Tuesday. There was an administrative glitch earlier this year that’s been causing us problems, and now, the university administration is not comfortable with us running a game next week because of issues that have grown out of this earlier problem. We want to emphasize that there’s not a threat to anyone’s safety – this is a problem purely with administration and planning.”

University physicist involved in Nobel-winning discovery: Daniel Holz (Ph.D. ’98), an associate professor of physics at the University, was one of the collaborators and members of the LIGO Scientific Collaboration, an organization whose discovery of gravitational waves was recognized by the Nobel committee when the Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to three individuals who played a particularly large role in the group’s most famous discovery.

Seven University professors tipped to win future Nobel: The winner(s) of the Nobel Prize in Economics will be announced next Monday, and seven University professors are tipped by Clarivate Analytics, a group that has a track record of being relatively accurate with Nobel Prize predictions, as having a good chance at receiving the award: Raghuram Rajan (added to the shortlist this year), John List, Richard Posner, Douglas Diamond, Kevin Murphy, Sam Peltzman, and Richard Thaler. Professors Eugene Fama and Lars Hansen, who were predicted to win by Clarivate Analytics a few years ago, became Nobel laureates shortly after the predictions were made.

Plans to combat Halloween chaos: After hundreds of teenagers congregated in Hyde Park on Halloween and on the Saturday two days prior last year, Hyde Parkers are organizing to “creat[e] a positive gathering space for youth on Halloween in our community.” They are looking for volunteers on Saturday, October 28 and Tuesday, October 31. One organizer said on Facebook that the chaos and large crowds last year were due to South Side “parents look[ing] to Hyde Park as the safest option for their older children to be out on the street.” That assessment differs from our reporting that teenagers organized a “purge” on 53rd Street over social media. 

In Arts

Editor May Huang writes in: 

University Theater’s quarterly Theater[24] took place last weekend, debuting on Saturday evening with six original plays devised the night before by six teams of writers, directors, designers, and actors.

The Sixth Annual Chicago Book Expo was held at Columbia College Chicago on Sunday, providing a platform for local readers, writers, and publishers to connect as well as attend a series of afternoon talks.

In Viewpoints

Editor Cole Martin writes in:

Contributing writer and University alumnus Mike Mei writes about his positive experience with the University of Michigan's graduate student union and the embarrassing lengths UChicago has gone to discredit recent campus efforts to unionize.

Columnist Soulet Ali argues that the University's inconsistent record on sexual assault cases merits more campus condemnation.

In Sports 

Editor Cavell Means writes in:

Women's soccer keeps rolling and wins yet again. The 15–3 volleyball team looks to beat Otterbein on Saturday. Cross country is amped to take on the Lucian Rosa Invitational. Receivers were in rare form, as the football team won big against Cornell.

Feedback via e-mail to news@chicagomaroon.com