Newsletter for November 14

Admin opposes GOP tax plans; clip of Jon Stewart dismissing Louis C.K. question at IOP resurfaces; and survey work begins in Jackson Park

Good morning. It’s eighth week, and course pre-registration is open.

The University is opposing provisions in the House tax plan to scale back exemptions for graduate students and tax university endowments. A spokesperson pointed to a statement by the Association of American Universities, of which the University is a member, criticizing the House plan.

• The Senate plan, released last week, kept the House GOP’s proposal for a 1.4% excise tax on investment income of institutions with endowments with a value greater than $250,000 per student. UChicago, with an endowment close to $500,000 per student, would be subject to this tax.
  • Graduate student waivers that cover tuition would continue to be tax exempt under the Senate plan, in contrast to the House counterpart.
  • Vice Executive Provost David Nirenberg wrote in an e-mail to graduate students: “The current House proposal has the potential to increase the tax liability of graduate students. Both the House and Senate proposals also include an excise tax on certain nonprofit private university endowments, which could affect funds the University uses to provide financial aid.”

Archaeological survey work begins in Jackson Park for the Obama Presidential Center this week, the Herald reports: “The property included in the survey is likely the location proposed by the Obama Foundation for a two-story above ground parking garage, for the OPC.”

A clip from an IOP event with Jon Stewart and David Axelrod has resurfaced online following the allegations against Louis C.K. Stewart and Axelrod laughed off a student’s question about C.K.’s alleged misconduct, which they dismissed as rumors from the internet.

• Axelrod told the Tribune: “Knowing what I know now, of course I would have probed Stewart more deeply…. And knowing what we all know now, I’m pretty certain he would have answered differently.”

Political science professors Paul Staniland and James Wilson debated the ethics of preemptive strikes last night.

• Wilson: “Think of a classic case of getting punched in the face. You don’t wait until they’ve already punched you.”
  • Staniland: “Preemptive strikes are more likely to lead to war than allowing nuclearization.”

Deputy Title IX Coordinator Shea Wolfe said again last night at an SG meeting that the University will continue to use a “preponderance of evidence” standard of proof in adjudicating sexual assault cases, regardless of the Trump administration’s guidance.

Ted Petry, the last known living witness to the first Pile-1 reaction, was featuredby UChicago News. He was a laboratory assistant, and he didn’t ask too many questions: “A lot of people worked there and left without any knowledge of what was going on,” he said.

The 2017 Paul Marks Prize for Cancer Research has been awarded to chemistry professor Chuan He, an expert on epigenetics and RNA modification, by the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. The prize, worth $50,000, is given to promising researchers under the age of 45 who have made important contributions to the study and treatment of cancer.

In Viewpoints

Editor Urvi Kumbhat writes in:

Reflecting on the Louis C.K. sexual misconduct case, columnist Annie Geng turns our attention to the ways in which men project feminist personas that often do not align with their actions.

In Arts

Editor May Huang writes in: 

The Maroon interviewed six students who participated in the Smart Museum of Art’s Art Match, which was revived this year after a three-decade hiatus.

Japanese-American songwriter Mitski headlined the MAB Fall Show last Saturday.

Fourth-year Val Bodurtha spoke to The Maroon about her debut YA novel, “The History Makers,” which reimagines Aztec history.

Last week, the DuSable Museum commemorated Audre Lorde with ascreening of the 2002 documentary film “The Edge of Each Other’s Battles: The Vision of Audre Lorde.”

A self-claimed “American novel,” Malu Halasa’s “Mother of All Pigs”tackles the patriarchy, Jordanian life, post-Arab Spring politics, and more with humor and honesty.

What to do and where to go, from Maroon Arts.

In Sports

Editor Cavell Means writes in: 

Football closes out the season with a W. Both women’s and men’s soccer advance to the Round of 16. Women's cross country receivedan at-large bid.